Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,

What is the best caulk for sidings? What do you think of dap dynaflex 230 white?

Thanks
230 is designed for interior use, it is absolutely wrong for exterior siding. Quad 4 is very strong, white or grey have the best consistency (IMHO) and are easily paintable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
230 is designed for interior use
Not according to DAP, who should know. The first line on their web page:
"Silicone Tough" latex sealant that offers outstanding exterior performance...
And next to that is "Best for windows/doors/siding"
We can debate how well they accomplished that, but let's not misrepresent the manufacturer.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,513 Posts
I would not use 230 outdoors. I didn’t feel it was durable enough.

Not a big fan of big stretch either. Thought it was difficult to work with.

Ive been using Sidewinder for years, and it’s hands down the best I’ve ever used.

It’s a pain in the ass to work with no doubt, it’s half glue I think, 🤣 but I’ve pulled off trim 10 years later and the wood split because I couldn’t break the bond.

It sticks equally well to wood, metal flashing, whatever. It’s more durable than most trim products. 😳

Haven’t seen too many guys mention it here over the years. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, probably regional. I never heard of Side Winder until you mentiioned it. In my area most people use Quad and Solar Seal.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I have use Side Winder only in white though. Seem like it comes out of the gun a little hard. For siding I use the color match Quad or Quad Max.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I have use Side Winder only in white though. Seem like it comes out of the gun a little hard. For siding I use the color match Quad or Quad Max.
Last time I used colored QUAD, it bubbled.

Anyone else seen this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
I only use caulk in plastic tubes. Isn't regular quad in paperbtubes still?

Same reason I stopped using the regular geocel. Ibwould blow three out of four tubes. Lexell works better anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I only use caulk in plastic tubes. Isn't regular quad in paperbtubes still?

Same reason I stopped using the regular geocel. Ibwould blow three out of four tubes. Lexell works better anyway.

I don't remember the last time ever blow a tube out with Quad. Lexell is ok , but it is only clear and white.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
What is the difference between quad and quad max? I only use quad max these days.

It seems to tool better than the old quad.

Anybody still using vulkem? That stuff sucked.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
What is the difference between quad and quad max? I only use quad max these days.

It seems to tool better than the old quad.

Anybody still using vulkem? That stuff sucked.

I rarely ever tool Quad. Think it looks better not , IMO.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
Last time I used colored QUAD, it bubbled.

Anyone else seen this?

Yes and I have also had that issue with Vulkem. Though, more so with the Vulkem than Quad. I asked about caulk bubbling on JLC maybe 14 years ago, but nobody seemed to have a definitive answer. So it just remains an unsolved mystery for me.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Yes and I have also had that issue with Vulkem. Though, more so with the Vulkem than Quad. I asked about caulk bubbling on JLC maybe 14 years ago, but nobody seemed to have a definitive answer. So it just remains an unsolved mystery for me.
TY

I’ve seen it bubble if painted before it was cured. I think off gassing.

But I didn’t paint it the last time I used it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Only time i had Quad bubble was over closed cell backer rod. I just assumed i punctured the rod and it off gassed. Did you use backer rod??

21 - 38 of 38 Posts