Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

What is the best caulk for sidings? What do you think of dap dynaflex 230 white?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Quad max here.

Too many issues with Dynaflex 230 washing out.

It depends on use though. Quick and needing to paint over, it's fine.

Somewhere I can't have leaks, then a water based caulk is a no go.

I do like Big Stretch. As long as it is warm dry weather.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I like Sher Max from Sherwin Williams.

The white is good, the clear shrinks a little bit. Easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,771 Posts
Not trying to highjack, but what is a good exterior caulk for around windows, white that does not collect dirt and looks bad after a while.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
Honestly Randy, I think you're on a unicorn hunt. Even indoors, I've never seen a caulk that wouldn't gunk up over time, unless maybe covered with paint. Which of course will eventually gunk up too.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,771 Posts
Honestly Randy, I think you're on a unicorn hunt. Even indoors, I've never seen a caulk that wouldn't gunk up over time, unless maybe covered with paint. Which of course will eventually gunk up too.
My thought too, was hoping though. Seems white is the worse.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,239 Posts
Rain Buster is widely use here. They also make subfloor glue. It work good too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not trying to highjack, but what is a good exterior caulk for around windows, white that does not collect dirt and looks bad after a while.
I use the quad 4, it doesn't get dirty like latex. I've also used it once on a tub surround on a rental, and everything around it was loose. I came back a couple years later and it still looked like the day I installed it. I also used it on a junk trailer on the seams, and despite some of the plywood warping a half inch, it held fast and just stretched out.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Generally Sher Max. I tried the super stretch but it was more trouble than it was worth trying to get a hold of the stuff. If I think additional movement and adhesion will be an issue then I get the Max Flex.
As with so many of these products availability at time of use is usually a significant issue in my choice.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,519 Posts
I can get big stretch and quad at home depot here. I can also get small tubes of Dow 5200 there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like big stretch, lexel, and other sashco products.

I have had horrible horrible experiences with DAP. I think it's garbage.

I've heard good things about Quad, but no real experience

1 - 20 of 38 Posts