Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Remodeler
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I'd say we're a long way from the original topic, but oh well. For those AnderSEN defenders out there, the fact that the door is designed to close over time is absurd. The previous Andersen Patio door closed (circa 1980). My Front door closes. My swinging Andersen door closes. Marvin, Pella, even frinkin' Mastercraft closes. It's a bad design.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Well I'd say we're a long way from the original topic, but oh well. For those AnderSEN defenders out there, the fact that the door is designed to close over time is absurd. The previous Andersen Patio door closed (circa 1980). My Front door closes. My swinging Andersen door closes. Marvin, Pella, even frinkin' Mastercraft closes. It's a bad design.
Bad design, maybe, but more likely is a problem with the interlock weatherstrip on the bypass area of the door. The interlock screws could be installed improperly, causing a bind that will cause resistance when the door is pulled shut. I've also seen cases where the interlocks were damaged during shipping, causing them to be slightly mis-aligned.

I adjust every active panel on the doors I install and I've never walked away from one that didn't rest with full contact on the receiver jamb weatherstripping. The last 1/4 to 3/8 that the door pulls shut with the lock mechanism is what gives the door a good seal. If you've installed Therma-Tru doors, you are aware of the fact that the hinge side weather strip causes the door to spring open before the lockset is installed. It's the same principle. Without compression, there is not a positive seal.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Lone, I really think Andersen has gotten sloppy over the last couple years.

I am converted to Marvins. No mor Andersen, unless I have to match.

One of the best windows, for the $$$ is the Marvin Integrity's.
Availability is a big factor with windows, IMO. Almost every local dealer is an Andersen dealer. Of the homes built in the areas I work in, Andersen is the predominant choice. Maybe it's an architect thing, IDK.

I will say that with literally thousands of Andersen window installs under my belt, I can't recall ever having an issue, other than shipping damage, which was adressed promptly.

I had Andersen casements and awnings in the last house I built for myself, as well as a few quarter, half and arch tops and I had zero issues with them. Had a flex frame trapezoid that was remarkably true as well.

I haven't used Andersens in a new build for about 3 years, due to my current project, but used 200 series double hungs on my current home and have zero complaints again. For the money, I feel they are a good value.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I installed this one last week. I have installed many of the same ANDERSEN models. Never really have any problems with them. And no i did not stain the deck (and siding)! :no:
JMO, but I think that's a damn nice looking door.:thumbsup:

Reactions: ROVACON

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Grandad used to do Home Improvement and He's an big Anderson guy. He built a new house 7 years ago and it's all Anderson. I think it is demographics as well being that I'm in Iowa Pella dominates the market around here. I do like the hinge set-up on the Anderson swinging patio doors. Easy to adjust and install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reality check

I think the original post was from a frustrated person that did no research prior to complaining. I adjust and/or install Andersen patio doors routinely. The simple answer to the problem is to add a keyed cylinder to the slider. The lock systems Andersen uses work quite well, and even better when installed correctly. Contractors like the poster keep me busy with service calls, so no problem on my end.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Wow, rehashing an old thread here that included me being called out for reglazing an Andersen Frenchwood :rolleyes:

Anyway, that bead of sealant around the perimeter glass no longer exists in Andersen's design ( cause it looked like chit, that's why) so at least that's an improvement and one less thing to deal with.

Original poster had a point here with closing. The last two I did would not seal from the exterior without throwing the lock - stupid if you ask me,...just incorporate a slightly larger pocket please so we'll stop complaining ;)

Other than that, I actually like the door.

Attachments

·
trim carpenter/remodeler
601 Posts
I think the original post was from a frustrated person that did no research prior to complaining. I adjust and/or install Andersen patio doors routinely. The simple answer to the problem is to add a keyed cylinder to the slider. The lock systems Andersen uses work quite well, and even better when installed correctly. Contractors like the poster keep me busy with service calls, so no problem on my end.
Actually, the cause of the bounce back is the bulb weatherstrip on the interlock. If you remove the operating panel, cut the bulb and the problem will be solved. It will not affect the factory warranty either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question

Not sure how well known Anderson patio doors are across the country but I'd like to make everyone know how AWFUL they are.

Living in MN in the flight path of Minneapolis airport, the Metropolitan Airport Commission (MAC) gives money for sound improvements (windows, doors, insulation, etc). I chose a new front door, swinging patio door, and sliding patio door. The work is contracted through Renewal by Anderson, so, even as a contractor, I was stuck having them install Anderson products.

The front door was Therma-Tru and no issues there. The swinging patio door is Anderson and other than their stupid locking system (hold handle up to lock door) it is fine as well.

The sliding patio door is the issue. It glides beautifully. It looks great.
It cannot be closed shut from the outside. That's right. The door will lock tightly with the latch ONLY from the inside. When exiting the door to the outside, the best you can do is slide it within 3/4" closed. I've had several conversations with a supervisor and have had Anderson service rep come out as well. The verdict- "It is designed to lock tight with the latch from inside". Absolute ridiculous. The value for the installation and the door was $1700. I could have gotten a $500 Home Depot special that at least closes.

I've installed Marvin, Pella, and Anderson. Anderson is by far the worst designed product. Wouldn't recommend Anderson to anyone.[/QUOTE

I Just read an article titled BUILDER® magazine’s 2014 Brand Use Study. This is what it said:

Andersen patio doors topped the list claiming the number one position in the Doors: Patio category for superior quality, the brand used most in the last two years and the most used brand. Respondents to the survey also cited Andersen as the window and patio door brand they are most familiar with, continuing the company’s legacy as the most recognized wood and clad-wood window and patio door brand among builders. I also just read that Andersen Corporation was awarded the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) 2013 and 2012 ENERGY STAR® Sustained Excellence Award. Sustained Excellence Awards are given only to organizations that have been named ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for three or more consecutive years. I guess Award winners are selected from more than 20,000 organizations that participate in the ENERGY STAR program.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Wow, rehashing an old thread here that included me being called out for reglazing an Andersen Frenchwood :rolleyes:

Anyway, that bead of sealant around the perimeter glass no longer exists in Andersen's design ( cause it looked like chit, that's why) so at least that's an improvement and one less thing to deal with.

Original poster had a point here with closing. The last two I did would not seal from the exterior without throwing the lock - stupid if you ask me,...just incorporate a slightly larger pocket please so we'll stop complaining ;)

Other than that, I actually like the door.
You know, you don't have to defend yourself. People will believe whatever they want. Some find the skill of other tradesmen unbelievable. What can you do about that? Just take it as a compliment and move on.

Great work Dave, as always.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts