Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
This is going to sound silly but call the Fire Dept, not emergency but explain what is going on. Our department has very high quality and extremely expensive infarred equip and Can detect the smallest hot spot. They would be able to find a cat. Do not call dispatch if you can help it, they might shine you on or say there is nothing they can do. Talk to an actual fireman, usually they care and will do something.
As a former firefighter, it's not silly but DON'T call 911. (Tin knows that but for the lurkers I had to say it) Stop by the station and ring the front bell. Firefighters are exceptional, incredible people with nearly no exceptions. If they are not busy they will be intrigued and want to help if they can. That's actually a damn good idea.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Trust me, I've seen plenty. Lived with cats all my life. :thumbsup:

I actually thought of a stethoscope or dB meter, but she's not vocal enough. You could wait all day for one meow.
You're not listening for meows, your listening for movement.

think about this from the cats perspective. It/she/he is sitting in a crawl space all of a sudden a saw get's stabbed into the drywall perhaps near it.

Kitty hears the noise and gets scared and moves.

If you take a stethoscope and tap on the dry wall your should get movement. Since it won't be very loud you should be able to find kitty. as you move around.

·
GC/carpenter
43,594 Posts
As a former firefighter, it's not silly but DON'T call 911. (Tin knows that but for the lurkers I had to say it) Stop by the station and ring the front bell. Firefighters are exceptional, incredible people with nearly no exceptions. If they are not busy they will be intrigued and want to help if they can. That's actually a damn good idea.

:thumbsup:
This gets my vote as well. You have nothing to lose by asking.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I found one between the floors one time. Cut a hole between joists and pulled it out. Since she hears it in the basement and the ceiling is drywalled, it could be between the floors.
I think someone mentioned this earlier. Not trying to take credit for someone else's idea.

The thermal imaging camera would probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was going to suggest asking the fire department too. I think you said it is a condo and a center unit, could the cat be stuck in an adjacent unit? I'd image the shared walls from both sides as well as the nearby ceilings and floors.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Cats are capable of climbing in ways you don't understand. So if that goes up to the attic the cat could very well be up there.
Personally I'd get a stethoscope and start tapping on the walls and ceiling just to see where it might be.
The stethoscope sounds like a good idea, and maybe, get a LOT of people in the house? This is the kind of thing that animal lovers would probably be willing to help with.

Poor little kitty.

Edited to add: The fire department is an excellent idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If she starts meowing when you are at the last step the cat is most likely to be in sight of the steps.

Try taking down a foot thick section of drywall all along the perimeter of the house and stick your head up there with a flashlight and look down the rows of joists. if the cat somehow got up there you will find her.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Maybe the cat could be stuck in the box spring of a bed?
I stepped on my cat one time so hard I though I broke her leg, cat let out a horrible scream and ran off.

I spent hours trying to find the cat tearing every closet apart.

A friend noticed a sag in the fabric in the bottom of my box spring, I poked it with a broomstick and the cat emerged from a 4" hole it tore in the bottom of the fabric.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is a tough one. The fire department would be a great approach. Maybe just letting things quiet down and see if the critter will come out on its own may help at this point? Sounds like there may be plenty of holes for it to use. Of course if its stuck that won't work.

Keep us advised.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I gotta ask, if there are two other cats in the house how do you know it's not eating?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was thinking about this some more today. At some point you're going to have to start tearing everything up. If the cat dies before it gets out of the wall/floor/whatever you'll have an even bigger problem.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Last night when I posted that, I thought people would think cat in a tree thing but I still think it's the best bet. If that cat is actually stuck, which happens all the time, it would be the only way of finding it. You can demo as much as you want but it could be in a heat duck or something silly like that and demo might not find it.

Just go to a fire station and ask.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That's a bridge we just have to hope not to cross. I just can't in good conscience recommend any more wreckage of the place without a promising plan of attack. :sad:

41 - 60 of 227 Posts