Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Cats are capable of climbing in ways you don't understand. So if that goes up to the attic the cat could very well be up there.
Personally I'd get a stethoscope and start tapping on the walls and ceiling just to see where it might be.
Trust me, I've seen plenty. Lived with cats all my life. :thumbsup:

I actually thought of a stethoscope or dB meter, but she's not vocal enough. You could wait all day for one meow.

If the cat is used to canned food, perhaps running the can opener in different areas including might get a response by the owner doing it with nobody else around.
The owner's actually had limited success at getting a response that way. But not enough to nail down the location any better. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
I'll keep looking but I just remembered the one time I sat for my sisters cat. She somehow figured out how to open up a door in an old piece of furniture and the door closed somehow trapping her. The next time I had the same cat I couldn't find her the entire time she was there and found her in my bathroom vanity.

Online, one area that I hadn't though of was a furnace flue. One cat got up the chimney and somehow the damper closed.

I'll keep looking. (PS, apparently Tuna is a good lure too)

·
Contractor
7,572 Posts
Sorry, I see you had a guy with high end imagining come in already.
The only other option is to set fire to the place....the cat will run out quick as can be. The house on the other hand.....

7 days is not so long for cats, my wife sort of rescued one that was +/- 2 months with no attention.
Cats are pretty flexible, I don't see one getting into a place they cannot get out of unless a door or some other obstacle gets in the way.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Sorry but I am going to have to suggest a dog also. Reason being, I have first hand experience of this working.

Mama cat had her kittens in my mother's joists. The dog would go to that area and scratch and bark. I opened up the area from underneath and sure enough. Litter of kittens.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
What exactly did you do there at the job? Maybe a scope of work might help narrow down some of our ideas. Also at the base of the stairs where she hears her is it a finished basement or what?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What exactly did you do there at the job? Maybe a scope of work might help narrow down some of our ideas. Also at the base of the stairs where she hears her is it a finished basement or what?
Physically looked inside every duct (and the furnace) in the basement and first floor. Between me and others, all joist bays and walls in the general area have had 4" holes poked in for a look-see. Highly doubtful that it's a Sistine Chapel sort of acoustic effect from the second floor.

The basement is semi- or rough-finished, with mostly exposed block walls. I'm pretty confident those walls hold no secrets.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I hope this all works out for the cat!

I don't have too much input, but I will second what rs said. Growing up we always had a couple cats and if you opened a can of tuna they would always come a runnin!

Good luck Tin!

Dave

·
Registered
Remodel
30,169 Posts
I doubt this would be reliable. I use them for locating animals, and fur really cuts down on the contrast. Then throw in an unknown location with unknown materials between it and the camera, and it'd be something of a long shot.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Perhaps the kitty is moving around, so you have looked everywhere, but not at the same time.. maybe enlist a small team of searchers to cover more areas simultaneously

How about a plumber with a sewer camera (see snake)?

I closed a cat into a porch ceiling once... The HO called when she realized it was up there, I back went and pulled some soffit, and that cat nearly jumped on my head getting out of there

·
Registered
Remodel
30,169 Posts
I'd consider using a parabolic mike or a spike mike to see if I could pick up any thing. A cat that thinks they're trapped will just sit there and not try to come out - they'll wait for rescue.

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
Quality thermal imaging.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Quality thermal imaging.
I'm pretty amazed at what a flir or good TI unit can find. I wish I needed one enough to buy one. It sees conduit in the walls, plumbing pipes, etc.

Any change in temp will be picked up and you can see the actual stuff behind the walls. Are you friends with any energy experts who might have one?

I've exhausted my google search and it seems that cats find very unusual places to hide, and can survive for quite a long time without presenting themselves, but tend to show up eventually. Apparently moving or lots of noise can prompt the hiding which is probably the case here and it's pretty common.

Please keep up posted Tin. As an animal lover I will probably be up way too many times tonight checking this thread for the best outcome.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Perhaps the kitty is moving around, so you have looked everywhere, but not at the same time.. maybe enlist a small team of searchers to cover more areas simultaneously
This ain't my first rodeo. My BIL moved out of state some years back, and when the movers had gone and he was ready to go, his cat was nowhere to be found (another townhouse). He and his wife stayed another three days searching for that cat with no results, then had to go.

Couple of days later, neighbors reported seeing the cat sitting in a window at night. Wife and I went over and got keys from management, searched the place and found nothing. Another day or two, another report of the Ghost Cat. Another fruitless search.

Happened yet again, and we had eight people searching that house from top to bottom. Nothing.

So we staked the place out narc-style, with a team at every unlocked door and cell phones at the ready. Sure enough, eventually Ghost Cat showed up strolling across the basement floor, and we converged on her from three directions and captured her.

To this day, no one knows where she was hiding.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
This is going to sound silly but call the Fire Dept, not emergency but explain what is going on. Our department has very high quality and extremely expensive infarred equip and Can detect the smallest hot spot. They would be able to find a cat. Do not call dispatch if you can help it, they might shine you on or say there is nothing they can do. Talk to an actual fireman, usually they care and will do something.

21 - 40 of 227 Posts