Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Mexican stuff isn't necessarily of poor quality and German stuff is not always great. Who cares where its made?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The brand name of the label is more important than where the plant is.

Any country can make great or bad tools and it up to the retailer to decide on the level of quality, durability depending on the market demands. The manufacturer just makes the product to the sellers specifications. That is why the model numbers of big-box stores are slightly different the tools that look the same elsewhere. They cut some corners for the big retailers.

In general, a German made tool that is sold in Germany is equal to or exceeds the quality available in the U.S. - Germans just appreciated quality and craftsmanship more than the price-oriented U.S. market. This is especially true in autos and anything hard or mechanical. Electronics can be a slightly different story unless it is a car.

If you want a really great violin, go to China because they can spend the time to make them right. - Times have changed.

On a recent TV interview, a Buick marketing person said Buick sells more cars in China than the U.S. (hard to believe if you have been there). Too bad they are far behind Mercedes and BMW. Cars outnumber rickshaws by many times.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
my experiences with dewalt have been less than great, i find i struggle with them to make clean cuts, or join 2 pieces of wood, every nail gun ive used by them jambs up within the first 10 minutes oil or no oil

. i spoke to their rep last fall and i mentioned to him ive noticed their tools are getting cheaper in quality. he acknowledged this and said yes they are, we have switched to over sea's production.

in the same token however, it seems that over the last 3 years or so the quality of all major power tools products are getting much lower. each manufacturer seems to keep one or two specific tools at a high quality, normally the one that brought them to the dance . bosch has their table saw and chop saws, hitachi has their high end line of nailers, milwaukee has the circ saw and recip + hole hawg, makita is cordless gear, porter cable has their routers...

anyhow the one thing im wondering is this simply to cut production costs or to compete with the other companys. it seems like a race to the bottom as opposed to the top

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I used to be a dewalt user until the Makita LXT range entered the market. I had a set of the XRP tools, Belt sander, Palm sander, 10" compound saw, table saw, hypoid saw and so on but after numerous problems with almost every tool i moved to Makita. I now only own 1 dewalt tool which is a belt sander and after just 5 mins of sanding i got a shock from it and then flames started flying out of the speed ajustment dial. I took it back and the new one gets so hot when i use it that i have to let it sit for 20 mins for every 5 mins i use it or it gets so hot i cant hold it. Called dewalt and they told me this was normal!!! They wont be seeing a penny of my cash ever again. The only good thing i have had from them is their saw stand.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Who cares where its made?
I would think you would care if you were the one in the unemployment line because your job got outsourced to another country.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As I and others have said to each their own and to their own experience.

Almost every power tool I own is DeWalt(my drill press is Delta) and the ONLY ***** or probs I've had is the jig saw.

I've seen other guys with Makita,Milwaukee and Rigids. Some were a POS some not.

I've even seen guys use Ryobi chordless who have owned them for years and no probs. NOT FOR ME just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
10,805 Posts
my experiences with dewalt have been less than great, i find i struggle with them to make clean cuts, or join 2 pieces of wood, every nail gun ive used by them jambs up within the first 10 minutes oil or no oil

. i spoke to their rep last fall and i mentioned to him ive noticed their tools are getting cheaper in quality. he acknowledged this and said yes they are, we have switched to over sea's production.

in the same token however, it seems that over the last 3 years or so the quality of all major power tools products are getting much lower. each manufacturer seems to keep one or two specific tools at a high quality, normally the one that brought them to the dance . bosch has their table saw and chop saws, hitachi has their high end line of nailers, milwaukee has the circ saw and recip + hole hawg, makita is cordless gear, porter cable has their routers...

anyhow the one thing im wondering is this simply to cut production costs or to compete with the other companys. it seems like a race to the bottom as opposed to the top

In reference to the "brought them to the dance"

I believe Bosch introduced the first jigsaw
Milwaukee was the sawzall
Skil was the circ saw
Porter Cable was the belt sander
Black and Decker was the hand held drill (inspired by a hand gun)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drills and other tools "made" in Mexico are actually assembled in Mexico to avoid US Customs duties and the parts come from China, Taiwan, and Indonesia. So long as 51% (in theory) comes from the country of origin it is classified as though it was 100% made in that country and the 51% can include packaging as well as the tools themselves. American manufacturers have lobbied hard to get US Customs duty fees dropped for all cordless drills coming into the USA and they did this to reduce their own costs and increase their profits. Whenever manufacturers move production offshore the tariffs are dropped - same thing has happened with carbide cutting tools.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most DeWalt tools are now assembled in Mexico, China, Taiwan from components manufactured in Mexico, China, Taiwan, the Czech Republic, Brazil, Korea, Japan, Thailand, or the USA.

DeWalt used to make tools in the United Kingdom, Germany, and Italy. In 1984, Dewalt's parent company acquired the woodworking and power tool assets of tjhe German manufacturer ELU. After that acquisition, some of DeWalt's tools were manufactured at former ELU factories in Idstein, Germany, and Monza, Italy.

DeWalt's 3 HP router is still manufactured and assembled in Italy. The Italian plant also supplies parts for DeWalt's smaller routers. At least one of DeWalt's line of hammer drills is manufactured and assembled in the Czech Republic. Most of DeWalt's other tools are manufactured or assembled in Mexico, China, or Taiwan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Most Dewalt tools sold in North and South America are made in Mexico. Original Poster is from Norway, no Dewalt tools made in Mexico are shipped to Europe from my understanding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Gatorb888, when is Dewalt going to start selling the cart for the tool box system they started?
It's been out for a little while now.. DWST08210. It's sold better than expected so I think It's on back order until Mid-Late January.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
It's been out for a little while now.. DWST08210. It's sold better than expected so I think It's on back order until Mid-Late January.
Who are the resellers over here for them as I had a friend ask me if I could get them cheaper for him over here but as of yet in the last few months ain't been able to find one place with them in stock. I see some chat on some websites that they were gonna be about $170-180 but as of yet can't find anywhere with stock. Amazon ain't even sold any or got any reviews. The Uk seem to have had them a while though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Who are the resellers over here for them as I had a friend ask me if I could get them cheaper for him over here but as of yet in the last few months ain't been able to find one place with them in stock. I see some chat on some websites that they were gonna be about $170-180 but as of yet can't find anywhere with stock. Amazon ain't even sold any or got any reviews. The Uk seem to have had them a while though.
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread.

Anywhere that sells Dewalt currently can special order it for you, even if they don't have any in stock. Like I said, they are on back order till late January so that's probably why Amazon pulled it off their website and it's a new product so not many hardware stores have carried stock on them (I'm hoping to change that). From what I've seen you are right about that retail price. And yes, Europe did release the system in early Summer, it launched in the US around late Summer. btw, Home Depot and Lowes isn't carrying the system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread.

Anywhere that sells Dewalt currently can special order it for you, even if they don't have any in stock. Like I said, they are on back order till late January so that's probably why Amazon pulled it off their website and it's a new product so not many hardware stores have carried stock on them (I'm hoping to change that). From what I've seen you are right about that retail price. And yes, Europe did release the system in early Summer, it launched in the US around late Summer. btw, Home Depot and Lowes isn't carrying the system. Hope this helps.

Lowes and hd always seem to be slow on new tools around here. But I been checking places like cpo, tooling, tool barn ect ect but not of them had any stock since they listed them on there sites. Even amazon had zero stock since listing them. It prob won't work out much cheaper for my mate but it's hard to say until I get a def price with item in stock.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Hello there Mr Dewalt Rep.
Just won and received a hat via the Dewalt 20v Canadian Facebook page

If you were involved in that, thanks! That is all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lowes and hd always seem to be slow on new tools around here. But I been checking places like cpo, tooling, tool barn ect ect but not of them had any stock since they listed them on there sites. Even amazon had zero stock since listing them. It prob won't work out much cheaper for my mate but it's hard to say until I get a def price with item in stock.
Yea, somebody goofed in sales forecasting. :rolleyes:

I'd recommend calling around to your local hardware stores/tool houses (the independently owned ones). They would probably be the only ones that may have some stock left. If you are in the US, PM me and I'll let you know of a place that may have one they could ship you.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts