Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In old town Portsmouth Va there are a lot of old homes that are two story apartments. They look like single fams, but are over under apartments. I am rebuilding the porch on one now. Does anyone know if these would fall under commerical or residential for the building code. I am going to call in the AM, but I am worried I cut the stairs wrong. I honestly didn't even think about them falling under the commerical code. I cut a 7.75 rise. I guess because of the houses looking like old vics I didn't think. Man......

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like R3.
SO that should still fall under res. USBC correct?
On Portsmouth website "deck safety inspections" they have two options either

• Commercial
• Single Family Residential

I was worried because it's not a single fam it might fall under commerical. Not sure I will let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I have a rental property set up like that.
The town treats it as a residential.

I believe they label it as "Non-conforming, prior approval"

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
My uncle had one on the other side of the water in Hampton. Most of his renovations were classified as repairs under the grandfather rules. As long as he did an exact replacement, he was technically code compliant. IMHO those older buildings in P-Town should be classified the same way.

·
Registered
582 Posts
As an old Portsmouth girl, I'm more than a little curious about the answer to your question.

Please come back and post after you get your answer?

BTW, my first guess would be residential, but I really don't know. And I think Ted Anderson is probably right about "grandfathering."

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an old Portsmouth girl, I'm more than a little curious about the answer to your question.

Please come back and post after you get your answer?

BTW, my first guess would be residential, but I really don't know. And I think Ted Anderson is probably right about "grandfathering."
Rose, I called and the house I am working on, does fall under the res. building code. It is right beside parkview. I guess it may even be part of PV. Great news for me, I really didn't want to change the stairs.
:clap:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts