Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Zip system on roof

17K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  bconley 
#1 ·
We're looking into the Zip system for the roof sheathing instead of using OSB. The roof is on 2 ft. centers and we're wanting to know how stiff the Zip system would be on 2 ft. centers compared to 5/8" OSB. Anybody out there who's put Zip on a roof?

#3 ·
I recently used some 5/8" T&G Zip on a roof. We also bought a tape dispenser so we could apply the tape they require. It worked very well and I would use it again.

It was somewhat heavy and driving the T&G together was a pain but it was nice having it weather tight as soon as we were done.

Dave

#8 ·
I have used it many times and it is very good , I live in Mass. on an island and we do not need T&G to meet the 110 mph code . The stuff is one of the better things to have come out in the last few years . We also use the zip wall and roof system as an air barrier for energy efficiency. So we are getting double bang for our buck

#16 ·
I've only used the 5/8" non-T&G. The stuff does however have a small lip for gapping along the 8' edge. I haven't done any 2' o.c. except for trusses and these last 4 Zip projects were stick framed rafters at 16" o.c. (2x12s on 3 and 2x6s on 1).

Search out Loneframer or Tim Uhler's previous posts on the subject. A thorough education.

DO NOT let the product get wet. I had some Zip Wall wick water along the ground and the wall was WaVy like crazy - I will see if I have some pictures. On a 16" o.c. wall the zip wall would bow or cup up to 3/4" in between the studs. Thankfully I was matching an existing old house that was already all wavy and tilted. It matched almost perfectly.

#17 ·
DO NOT let the product get wet. I had some Zip Wall wick water along the ground and the wall was WaVy like crazy - I will see if I have some pictures. On a 16" o.c. wall the zip wall would bow or cup up to 3/4" in between the studs. Thankfully I was matching an existing old house that was already all wavy and tilted. It matched almost perfectly.
This material will wick water. It's an Advantech product, but doesn't share the same water resistant properties as their T&G decking. Probably has something to do with the bonding of the surface layer.

#18 · (Edited)
Square Pants,

I highly suggest you get in contact with the Zip rep in your area. There are some very huge rebates right now. And he will have further info for you about the panels and tape. Try to get some free shirts too, I'm wearing one right now ;)

We use 7/16" OSB on our roofs under comp, framing 24" oc. That is the norm here, but we upsize to 5/8" under tile. The last frame we did we used the 1/2" zip on the roof and it was nice and flat and plenty stiff. It was also very grippy.

The house we are on now is all 12-12, so I'll be curious to see how grippy it is in cold weather. We'll use toe boards anyway to sheathe the roof.

I was looking at the invoices and it is about double for the roof panels. I need to get the bid from our roofer to see how much less it is using this system than the last time we built this house and didn't use the Zip.

For us, I feel that the wall panels are a no brainer. The roof panels make sense if you can't schedule roofers in and its going to be wet. I think they make sense, but not every time. Our roofer is going to start using them on reroofs though because they can dry in as they sheathe the roof. So for things like that I think it makes perfect sense.

For us, it'll take 3-5 days to sheathe the roof of the one we are on, so we can dry in as we go, but the roofers will probably roof it in 2 days. It is 150 sheets. We are trying to seal the deal with a potential custom and the customer was looking at our website photos and really likes the idea of the zip. It does make the house pop from the street.

Rebate link http://www.zipsystem.com/getting-started/rebates.aspx

#23 ·
Do you mean for areas like the step flashing and windows?

copy and pasted from this link http://www.zipsystem.com/resources/warranty-information.aspx

The installation of ZIP System® wall or roof panels with ZIP System™ adhesive tape, as part of the original building envelope of a Residential
Property, entitles a Builder to the following warranties.
15-Year System Limited Warranty. We warrant to the Builder that, for a period of 15 years after the date of installation, the system, consisting
of ZIP System wall or roof panels and ZIP System adhesive tape, will satisfy the Air and Water Resistance Properties Test set forth in Huber
Engineered Woods (HEW) Publication Z-1. Our liability to the Builder under this 15-year System Limited Warranty is limited to the reasonable cost
of material and labor required to correct the failure to comply with this Warranty.

30-Year Panel Limited Warranty. We warrant to the Builder that, for a period of 30 years after the date of installation, the ZIP System® panels
will comply with the performance requirements set forth in U.S. Dept. of Commerce Voluntary Product Standard PS2-04 and will not delaminate.
Delamination is a visible separation of panel layers which reduces the panel’s structural strength. Our liability to the Builder under this 30-year
Panel Limited Warranty is limited to the repair or replacement, at HEW’s option, of the defective panel and of any exterior wall or roof covering
which must be removed for access to the panels.

http://www.zipsystem.com/resources/warranty-information.aspx
http://www.zipsystem.com/zip-system/tape.aspx

#29 ·
Just checked out zips website. Apparently a first time user can get a free tape dispenser and also a $3/sheet rebate (up to 300 sheets)
The supplier also can get a $150 bonus for selling it to the first time user. I have found a retailer near us and hope to convince a contractor to give it a try.

#30 ·
The tape gun was working very well for us, but not so great now. It rolls fine, but the little roller that collects the release paper isn't keeping up.

Taping is easy and I wouldn't personally charge extra unless I could. It is very fast

http://picasaweb.google.com/TimothyUhler/Lot25Gleneagle#5411536980295577394

It is pressure activated and the rep told me to use their J-Roller w/10lbs of pressure. We used a different J-Roller the first time and the Zip roller is much better. I'll try and get some comparison shots this week of the difference.

#32 ·
We have had an extremely wet year here and used the zip on a house that was exposed a lot. We had no issues with waviness at all. We make sure that our sheeting is off of the foundation and put the spaces on all sides and had no troubles. A lot of this was untaped for a long period of time as well with no issues.

#33 ·
We have had an extremely wet year here and used the zip on a house that was exposed a lot. We had no issues with waviness at all. We make sure that our sheeting is off of the foundation and put the spaces on all sides and had no troubles. A lot of this was untaped for a long period of time as well with no issues.
Nice looking build L@E. Thanks for the real world feedback on the Zip system. Being a new product, we're skeptical until we use it or until we hear successful stories about it, as is yours. With our build, we're having to really baby the HOs because they were screwed by the block mason they hired. The last thing we'd want to do is introduce another headache into their lives with wavy wall sheathing/siding. From your experience with it, it sounds like the Zip system lives up to the hype. I hope we have the same results when we use it

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.