Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
This is what everyone around here is using on the multi-family buildings these days. I took some scrap home about a year ago to build an outdoor workbench and it's still holding up.

Typically particle board doesn't stay in one piece if it goes unprotected and/or gets wet but this seems to defy that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I forgot to ask what those that use this system are seeing in cost lately. I have not checked price yet but am sure it is more expensive? Perhaps not if you add roof felt, and/or house wrap, and additional labor cost?

I did find their Advantek T&G sub-flooring material(which uses a better polyurethane adhesive compared to other OSB formaldehyde Engineered wood) cost about the same around here. The stiffness increase and moisture test on their site are impressive although I have not tested or seen it yet first hand. Only problem I have with it is it only comes in a 47 1/2 face dimension "scant", which adds another T&G/block in most cases but I guess that is new industry standard, go figure? However the sheathing is full faced.

With the felt and house wrap integrated to Advantek for a Zip System this stuff looks impressive!

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I forgot to ask what those that use this system are seeing in cost lately. I have not checked price yet but am sure it is more expensive? Perhaps not if you add roof felt, and/or house wrap, and additional labor cost?

I did find their Advantek T&G sub-flooring material(which uses a better polyurethane adhesive compared to other OSB formaldehyde Engineered wood) cost about the same around here. The stiffness increase and moisture test on their site are impressive although I have not tested or seen it yet first hand. Only problem I have with it is it only comes in a 47 1/2 face dimension "scant", which adds another T&G/block in most cases but I guess that is new industry standard, go figure? However the sheathing is full faced.

With the felt and house wrap integrated to Advantek for a Zip System this stuff looks impressive!
I'm sure local prices vary.

Advantech and Zip cost me more that OSB would have. I never used OSB for subfloor or roof deck, just walls. So I ended up replacing 3/4" T&G with 3/4" Advantech which saved me $3-$4 a sheet, and ended up being a much better product.

1/2" Structural 1 Zip roof replaced the 1/2" CDX I was using before. Very close in price.

7/16" Zip walls replaced the 7/16" OSB w/Tyvek I , using before. The zip system ends up being more expensive, but the benifits of a faster dry in and not ever having to mess with a roll of WRB makes it worth. Plus the green and red panels with black tape make your projects look cooler than the other ones in the area :thumbup:

I'm very happy with the Huber products. So much so, that I used them on my own home.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The house next door to me was built using them. Insulation, drywall, all done awaiting the roofers, a lot of faith on the builders part-

I hate the sound of flapping Tyvex in the breeze.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I've found after you factor the labor in and tyvec or felt it is just a slight bit more, like 200 bucks on a whole house. And you don't have to worry about it as soon as its put up. No brainer to me

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The house next door to me was built using them. Insulation, drywall, all done awaiting the roofers, a lot of faith on the builders part-

I hate the sound of flapping Tyvex in the breeze.
I've had the drywall done in additions before roofing and siding was up. As long as they are installed and taped off correctly, you are in good shape.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure local prices vary.

Advantech and Zip cost me more that OSB would have. I never used OSB for subfloor or roof deck, just walls. So I ended up replacing 3/4" T&G with 3/4" Advantech which saved me $3-$4 a sheet, and ended up being a much better product.

1/2" Structural 1 Zip roof replaced the 1/2" CDX I was using before. Very close in price.

7/16" Zip walls replaced the 7/16" OSB w/Tyvek I , using before. The zip system ends up being more expensive, but the benifits of a faster dry in and not ever having to mess with a roll of WRB makes it worth. Plus the green and red panels with black tape make your projects look cooler than the other ones in the area :thumbup:

I'm very happy with the Huber products. So much so, that I used them on my own home.
Thanks for the cost info.

If you want to use Tyvek this Drainwrap looks pretty promising, cost about 1/3 more than flat. I have a sample here, for such a thin sheet it has some good compression strength. Depending on what clad surface it is up against if it is not compressed too much in theory it looks like it will work as a way to expel water vapor. The beauty behind the zip system is water never gets into the wall panel keeping the R value protected.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weathe...nWrap/DrainWrap Building Science Bulletin.pdf

Another product I found of interest under siding is cor-a-vent. A venting system to expel water and moisture.
http://www.cor-a-vent.com/siding-vent-sv-3.cfm

All and all I think the ZIP is the way to go for new construction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts