Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when something like this was going to happen
Lowe’s... has agreed to implement a comprehensive, corporate-wide compliance program at its over 1,700 stores nationwide to ensure that the contractors it hires to perform work minimize lead dust from home renovation activities, as required by the federal Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule, the Department of Justice and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced today. The company will also pay a $500,000 civil penalty, which is the largest ever for violations of the RRP Rule.
http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/lowes-home-centers-llc-settlement

Amazingly that amount is akin to only 16 "32k" fines - wonder how many they really had racked up & how many they get to slide on as they implement this "program"

·
Registered
582 Posts
And the morons in bureaucracy do not seem to understand, corporations do *not* pay fines and fees.

The cost of everything at Lowes will probably get bumped up a bit to protect against this in the future.

And the cost of hiring Lowes' subcontractors will also go up, to cover the "new rules."

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Yep, they're getting off light if you ask me.

Imagine all the violations they probably performed since the law went into effect at $37k a pop per violation.

I'm sure the real number would be in the stratosphere...

Should be interesting to watch how they adjust going forward and if it ultimately affects sales like many of us have discovered it does :sad:

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I wonder if HD will be next.
I did an estimate and when I told the HO I had to do a lead test she told me it wasn't necessary because she had called HD for an estimate and their man did the test and it was negative.
Now this was a door replacement job on a 1920's-30's house, original door and trim.

I told her how unlikely that it was to come out negative on a house that old and proceeded to do my own test.

Of course it was positive. I think the guy didn't cut into the paint layers and just smeared the chemical on the surface of what was a very new paint job.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
If it gets real legs it will kill all ambitions of renovating. Its quiet here as it is, we just had all season price increases too boot.

The underground economy will increase.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the EPA always planned to do this type of retrospective review of RRP records kept by contractors. If they go after the Big Box stores this will get attention in the media and perhaps scare others into becoming trained and compliant

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
if it ultimately affects sales like many of us have discovered it does :sad:

Well we all know the service they offer are subs. Because of the layers of management and sales commissions they need the cheapest labor possible just to be able to skim from it. As long as a WC certifcate was produced they were good. No checking on limits or if the dates of the policy were whited out and retyped for the fax machine either. Certainly no one looking for "Lead" in the insurance ryders either. So my guess is they will drop services.

But with merchandise, the checkout scanners can apparently trace lead. I put 2 plumbing valves on the counter and the machine rejected one "due to traces of lead".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts