Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to install some zenon pucks behind a bunch of glass doors and for undercabinet lighting (15 total). I am having trouble determining what size conductor to run from the transformers to the lights. The farthest light will be about 18 feet from the transformers. The salesman at the electrical supply house was totally clueless this afternoon, he said they don't sell many pucks most people apparantly buy them from the big box stores. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
If I were you I would run a good 18ga in-wall rated low-voltage wire to a spot near the transformer from groups of three or four lights.
This is very dependant on the wattage of the lights. If they are 20 watts each I wouldn't go more than four lights per run.
This will give you four home runs to the trans where you can splice the wires. You will most definitely need a larger transformer than any you will get in a puck light kit. Fifteen is a LOT of puck lights!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedy Petey said:
If I were you I would run a good 18ga in-wall rated low-voltage wire to a spot near the transformer from groups of three or four lights.
This is very dependant on the wattage of the lights. If they are 20 watts each I wouldn't go more than four lights per run.
This will give you four home runs to the trans where you can splice the wires. You will most definitely need a larger transformer than any you will get in a puck light kit. Fifteen is a LOT of puck lights!

I've got 10 of them going into high glass door cabinets. I will split them in half (5 lights,20 watts each bulb) onto 120 watt transformers. Then the 5 undercabinet lights will be on their own 120 watt transformer. Damn, I hate it when people want a flush finished bottom with recessed pucks in them. I prefer line voltage light bars. I am going to try out the zenon for the first time, recessed into a finished bottom cabinet I think the halogen's just get too hot. Any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts