Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redoing a deck in the Florida Keys.
Considering using Stainless Steel or ZMax Joist Hangers from Strong Tie.
Very Corrosive conditions, heavy salt spray, directly on the Gulf.
Best price on 2 x 12 Stainless is $17 each. I need about 60. Yikes!
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Unless it's ocean front the Zmax is pretty darn rugged but there will eventually be some surface corrosion. Stainless is a better option but it costs more.

For ocean front I'd go with stainless and just use it as part of the sales value pitch. Anywhere else you might consider offering it as an upgrade.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
If you have salt spray go stainless. Saying your on the gulf id go stainless. Its a hefty price tag but it worth it.

Reactions: Cole

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Ethan has a good point. Sell the stainless. Im sure your competitors dont even think about stainless because of the price. This puts you above the rest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is for my own house, so it is coming out of my very empty pockets.
Any idea how long I can get out of Z max? There really is no mention of expected life on any manufacturers websites.
I would be cool with using galvanized, if I could get 10-12 years out of them.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I'd keep the Zmax from contacting pt wood with vycor or something similar. How much time would it take to replace the hangers down the road. Factor your time spent with what you'll save. Worth it? I wouldn't want to crawl under my deck and remove hangers and put new ones up. How about this. Don't use hangers. Just nail everything.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
OP, maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for my idea on Plasti-Dipping the hangers.:whistling Let me know in 10 years how it holds up?

60 LUS210Z @ $2
Plasti Dip Primer $85
Plasti Dip $85
Total = $290

60 LUS212 SS @ $17
Total = $1020

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,691 Posts
Don't use hangers. Just nail everything.
To salty there, use SS 16d nails and freeze block. If somebody looks at it calls you on it put the SS hangers on top of the freeze blocks with SS 16d nails. No hangers on this deck only freeze blocks and SS16d nails:thumbsup: Its like 3 houses from the ocean with full time trade winds hitting it.

Attachments

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
Artist and not a curator
14,855 Posts
I build decks and docks all over Florida, some in the keys, if you use zmax you will start replacing hangers in 3-5 yrs. Real problem is they don't corrode at the same rate due to exposure.

Personally anything in the keys is ss, copper, or brass, use galvanized anything and you'll be amazed at how fast you're replacing stuff.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
OP, maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for my idea on Plasti-Dipping the hangers.:whistling Let me know in 10 years how it holds up?

60 LUS210Z @ $2
Plasti Dip Primer $85
Plasti Dip $85
Total = $290

60 LUS212 SS @ $17
Total = $1020
That chit is junk.

Why not set the joists on a bream. Then you don't need the hangers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts