Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Z max vs Stainless Steel Joist Hangers

10895 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  jlsconstruction
Redoing a deck in the Florida Keys.
Considering using Stainless Steel or ZMax Joist Hangers from Strong Tie.
Very Corrosive conditions, heavy salt spray, directly on the Gulf.
Best price on 2 x 12 Stainless is $17 each. I need about 60. Yikes!
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Unless it's ocean front the Zmax is pretty darn rugged but there will eventually be some surface corrosion. Stainless is a better option but it costs more.

For ocean front I'd go with stainless and just use it as part of the sales value pitch. Anywhere else you might consider offering it as an upgrade.
Reactions: Cole
If you have salt spray go stainless. Saying your on the gulf id go stainless. Its a hefty price tag but it worth it.
Reactions: Cole
Ethan has a good point. Sell the stainless. Im sure your competitors dont even think about stainless because of the price. This puts you above the rest.
This is for my own house, so it is coming out of my very empty pockets.
Any idea how long I can get out of Z max? There really is no mention of expected life on any manufacturers websites.
I would be cool with using galvanized, if I could get 10-12 years out of them.
I'd keep the Zmax from contacting pt wood with vycor or something similar. How much time would it take to replace the hangers down the road. Factor your time spent with what you'll save. Worth it? I wouldn't want to crawl under my deck and remove hangers and put new ones up. How about this. Don't use hangers. Just nail everything.
Reactions: bmcquin
OP, maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for my idea on Plasti-Dipping the hangers.:whistling Let me know in 10 years how it holds up?

60 LUS210Z @ $2
Plasti Dip Primer $85
Plasti Dip $85
Total = $290

60 LUS212 SS @ $17
Total = $1020
I do not believe there is any such hanger as an LUS212....

an LUS210 is a 2x12 hanger also.
To salty there, use SS 16d nails and freeze block. If somebody looks at it calls you on it put the SS hangers on top of the freeze blocks with SS 16d nails. No hangers on this deck only freeze blocks and SS16d nails:thumbsup: Its like 3 houses from the ocean with full time trade winds hitting it.
Don't use hangers. Just nail everything.

Attachments

Reactions: Big Shoe
I've got some SS hangers LUS210 that I've been wanting to sell off (not 60) $10 EA but I'll have to count them up. I also have some H2.5 clips if you need those. I'll try to get a count in the next day or 2.
The Zmax are rated for PT and are double dipped zinc. You can pressure block like DWB mentioned and use the Zmax on top the blocks also what DWB mentioned except dont wait until you get busted to do it. :thumbsup: except DWB said SS I say Zmax
What kind of stainless steel are the joist hangers? There is only one alloy stainless steel designed to resist salt water.
The Simpson SS hardware holds up well in a salt environment.:thumbsup:
"Redoing a deck in the Florida Keys"

poor guy, let's take up a fund to help him out :whistling
This is for my own house, so it is coming out of my very empty pockets
DWB's freeze blocks look good. Not to sure if that' a S. Florida bld code approved system though.

Where abouts in the Keys?
Depending on the span, pressure blocks as shown may be a feasible option, but in a damp environment they are prone to trapping moisture between plies and eventually rotting.. Maybe
I build decks and docks all over Florida, some in the keys, if you use zmax you will start replacing hangers in 3-5 yrs. Real problem is they don't corrode at the same rate due to exposure.

Personally anything in the keys is ss, copper, or brass, use galvanized anything and you'll be amazed at how fast you're replacing stuff.
That chit is junk.

Why not set the joists on a bream. Then you don't need the hangers
OP, maybe you would like to be the guinea pig for my idea on Plasti-Dipping the hangers.:whistling Let me know in 10 years how it holds up?

60 LUS210Z @ $2
Plasti Dip Primer $85
Plasti Dip $85
Total = $290

60 LUS212 SS @ $17
Total = $1020
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.