Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I don't normally cook them that fast, usually just one or 2 at the start so I can make my wife's favorite (Guadeloupe-ground tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and cilantro (pic 1)) or a Hangover-rum-soaked cherries, very thin lemon slices marscapone and EVOO(pic 2). After that I go 3-4 minutes, neo-NY style, like this andouie and onion favorite (pic 3).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
No pictures cause not much has changed except the stone on the foundation and the back wall has been built so I could pour the perlcrete around it. I've done a couple fires and am hoping to be able to use it for pizza on friday. So a couple of questions

What are the essential tools...pizza peel... what's the tool called that you turn the pizza with, or is that the peel? or is the peel what you put the pizza in the oven with? Or are they the same tool? What about tools for fire management, same andirons you'd use for a fireplace, I'll need a different brush i think to get in there properly.

Also I've done a few fires some just paper, some just softwood, and 2 with a few sticks of hardwood. The oven is black inside, real black, does the soot get burned away somewhat with a hotter fire? I though it would.

No door yet, i'll just be stacking brick sin front for a little while. Still lots of stuff to do, including the roof, and countertop. The countertop has been my biggest holdup. that and basic indecisiveness

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
You need 2 peels. Most home pizza guys use a wood peel to launch, but almost 100% of (WFO) professionals use a slotted metal peel, and I have found it to work best as well. You also need a smaller round peel, a turning peel, to rotate the pizzas in the oven. Really, those are the only two specialized tools you need. I use a hoe for the ashes and coals and a regular fireplace poker to poke.

The slotted one is 14" wide with a 24" handle, the turning peel is maybe 5" across with a 48" handle. Neither is cheap, but they are worth the investment.

Also, stay away from brushes and mops to remove ash from the floor before cooking. Brushes drop bristles which cause medical issues, and mops cool the floor too much. Use the slotted peel and give the floor a few whacks and it all goes up the flue.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I've always used an inexpensive wooden peel to launch the pizza. I'm sure the perf ones are better, I just don't want to pay for one. I did just pony up for a perf turning peel from GI metal. You can get them through Amazon, Sean.

I do use a brush on occasion, natural bristles. A quick dunk and shake out and no worries about ingesting a bristle. These days, I only use it after a live fire session when prepping the hearth for bread baking. During live fire I just slap the hearth with the peel and the heat flow takes the airborne ashes away and up the flue.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Find those peels at a restaurant supply house or on-line or at a specialty type store?
You can get a solid aluminum peel with a wooden handle for about 25 or 30 bucks at Hendrix on Baxter. It's no fancy slotted peel but it will do the job.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
You can get a solid aluminum peel with a wooden handle for about 25 or 30 bucks at Hendrix on Baxter. It's no fancy slotted peel but it will do the job.
I saw that after doing a search yesterday. Never heard of it. I can;t even think of where Baxter is. They looked about the right size to able to fit in my tool cubby also. 27" or so

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I saw that after doing a search yesterday. Never heard of it. I can;t even think of where Baxter is. They looked about the right size to able to fit in my tool cubby also. 27" or so
Beside Ikea.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oh...in the plaza? So Baxter is the road into the plaza? Cause iris is the one that goes on to Woodroofe. Or is it the rd Lee Valley and Centura are on?
Perpendicular to Iris, it runs off Iris east side of Ikea.

Reactions: dom-mas

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Thanks, I decided google map was probably easier. Never been in there. Pretty close, I'll try to go this week or get my wife to stop by on her way home

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Trust me on this one. The cheapo aluminum peel is going to lead to frustration. Better to use a wood one than that, they are just as cheap.

Once you get tired of making calzones or worse with the aluminum or wood one, you will be amazed at the ease with which you are able to launch pizzas using the slotted one.

Buy the aluminum, solid one, then when you get tired of fighting it, cut it down into a turning peel.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Can't i cut holes in it and bevel them like SC did....No wait I can't do that, definitely can;t do that.

I'll get a wood one and the aluminum one. I like the idea of a wood one to put it in the oven but the aluminum one to pull it out, if I fvck up too much I'll invest in a more expensive one

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Very light dusting of powder and away you go. All the times I've messed up a launch was because of operator error, not because of the wood. Someday I'll spring for one of those peels just to say I've tried it. Btw, that homemade perf peel was Stainless steel not aluminum...

161 - 180 of 218 Posts