Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You're saying your camera can store pictures on built-in memory or on the card, and you can only get it to store on the built-in memory? How old is the camera?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I do, but I don't have a cord to attach it and I don't have a data plan. I'll find a camera soon. The first footing has been poured for the bridge and I'm finally starting a mildly interesting job so if i don't find a camera in the next week i'll buy one

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I just bought a USB card reader that reads every card known to man for seven bucks. I gave my camera a bath and needed to get the pics off the card.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Figured out the camera. I'm guessing that because it was lost ofr a while that when it got recharged it went into some sort of a default setting where it only looked at internal memory. I pushed a bunch of icons and one finally said settings. Searched around until I found memory and switched it over, pics tomorrow.

I'm going to start either the 1/2 dome or the arch. I was going to do the 1/2 dome first since then I'd be able to joint easier but now i'm thinking that the vault would give me something to lay the dome to and give me a frame of reference for cuts. I guess i could just the end of my vault centre and add a 3" piece on top and lay the 1/2 dome to that. So long as it was in plane and plumb it should be good....right? Also will the 1/2 dome support itself if it isn't closed in? is fireclay a good enough glue to hold it temporarily if i don't finish it all in a day, I'm thinking it is but my entire thought process has always been to use the mortar to hold the units apart rather than to keep them together

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
pics so far. Nothing too great. i'm thinking I'm going to lay the barrel this evening. Got the center built now just waiting until it cools down outside to lay some up.

Can't say I'm all that crazy about Whiteacre Greer. these bricks vary by a good 1/8", in thickness and in length, 1/16 off in either direction...most are too thick though which is making layout with a tape annoying

·
Contractor
7,574 Posts
WG bricks are one of the best around for a good conductivity number....you'll forget all about the size discrepancy when you're not scorching the bottoms of the pizza and bread.
Can you explain about the conductivity number and different brick manufacturers to us lurkers?

I think from an excavator's point of view, fire brick are light tan and have no holes, didn't know there was more to it than that. :blink:

Thanks for the pics, Dom-as, looks like you are making good progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
There are a couple different types of tan firebrick as well. One that is crisp and clean and another that is a crap pos in my opinion. I love it when I get some of one kind and some of another kind. I put them on my truck and bring them right back.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Can you explain about the conductivity number and different brick manufacturers to us lurkers?

I think from an excavator's point of view, fire brick are light tan and have no holes, didn't know there was more to it than that. :blink:

Thanks for the pics, Dom-as, looks like you are making good progress. :thumbsup:
Simply put, the more alumina in the brick, the higher the conductivity will be. A brick that is highly conductive will tend to burn pizza because of higher surface temperatures than a brick with lower alumina %....low duty brick tends to be less conductive than med duty brick, definitely less than high duty brick. WG is one of the lower ones out there with 0.69 W/mk. The density of each type of brick is a contributor to how heat is distributed, with high duty being the hardest, most dense...to low duty, which is softer and the least dense.....except for insulating firebrick, which is not used as theremal mass.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Interesting. I would have thought that the WG's would have a high alumina content. They are very dense (one of the heaviest per unit I've worked with) and brittle. Brittle generally means alumina to me. It does for limestone anyway

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Actually, come to think of it...the whiteacre are very brittle on the outside, but the inside is fairly crumbly.

SC...what do you say about leaving and unfinished dome for a while. I hope to get the barrel done today but i forgot about Garlicfest, so that will take up a good chunk of the day, (yesterday was basketball, last weekend was soccer, weekend before was the cottage, add that to the rain we've had every 3rd evening and it's no wonder this thing is over a monthe behind where I thought I'd be).

Anyway, I know that once I get the dome started that I won't finish it in a day...so will HTC hold the brick up for days without any support underneath? With fireplaces nothing is less than 45* so i don't worry too much but after the 2nd course I think I'll be out of a horizontal plane

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Actually, come to think of it...the whiteacre are very brittle on the outside, but the inside is fairly crumbly.

SC...what do you say about leaving and unfinished dome for a while. I hope to get the barrel done today but i forgot about Garlicfest, so that will take up a good chunk of the day, (yesterday was basketball, last weekend was soccer, weekend before was the cottage, add that to the rain we've had every 3rd evening and it's no wonder this thing is over a monthe behind where I thought I'd be).

Anyway, I know that once I get the dome started that I won't finish it in a day...so will HTC hold the brick up for days without any support underneath? With fireplaces nothing is less than 45* so i don't worry too much but after the 2nd course I think I'll be out of a horizontal plane
Hey Sean,
The brittleness would indicated a less dense brick obviously...so there's more air in it, which will lower the conductivity of the material.

I've never had an issue leaving a dome that wasn't topped out, even an unfinished course...and I don't have centering that stays in place. What's HTC?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Brittleness....like it cleaves very sharply and cleanly. flint and chirt are very dense stones that are very brittle. Limestone with a high alumina content is usually very brittle. granite is also brittle compared to sandstone and is much denser

i actually totally revoke my comment about the WG bricks being brittle, I was just breaking some thin cuts apart by hand to use as wedges under my centre and they did not break cleanly at all...mostly crumbled, but not into tiny pieces

HTC...High Temp Cement

41 - 60 of 218 Posts