Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Trust me on this one. The cheapo aluminum peel is going to lead to frustration. Better to use a wood one than that, they are just as cheap.

Once you get tired of making calzones or worse with the aluminum or wood one, you will be amazed at the ease with which you are able to launch pizzas using the slotted one.

Buy the aluminum, solid one, then when you get tired of fighting it, cut it down into a turning peel.
The cheap aluminum one works better than the wood, I have both.

Can't i cut holes in it and bevel them like SC did....No wait I can't do that, definitely can;t do that.

I'll get a wood one and the aluminum one. I like the idea of a wood one to put it in the oven but the aluminum one to pull it out, if I fvck up too much I'll invest in a more expensive one
Don't get the wood...if you want a wood one stop by my house and take it...you may have to dig a little for it though.

I mix semolina and ap flour 50/50, dust the peel, give it a shake to make sure the pizza slides nice and fire her in.

Reactions: dom-mas

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I launch with wood mostly. Also have a big aluminum peel that I actually use for turning and removal. And the best tool I have besides the peel is a piece of 1x3 furring strip with a nail through the end. Great for brushing coals aside, manipulating the wood and just general moving stuff around. Lasts about 1/2 season then I make another one.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
The cheap aluminum one works better than the wood, I have both.

Don't get the wood...if you want a wood one stop by my house and take it...you may have to dig a little for it though.

I mix semolina and ap flour 50/50, dust the peel, give it a shake to make sure the pizza slides nice and fire her in.
Did you build an oven or buy one?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Did you build an oven or buy one?
I made a Franken oven by butchering a Weber kettle, sitting it on top a high output burner, lining with firebrick splits and cutting a window in the lid.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Who? Me or Inner. if me I'll post some tomorrow night and after the weekend. Oven doesn't look much different other than the back wall being built. We're making pizza tomorrow, so cross my fingers. I'm going to get the front arch finished on the weekend, should make a visible difference. I have the roof all figured and wih the front arch done I can brick up to it.

Still not decided on a countertop, 75% sure it will be concrete but not 100%. It's keeping me from building the inner wythe of the rear wall which also ties into the side wall. I;m thinking i might leave a ledge for the countertop and corbel the brick over it.

I hate working at home

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Ok I just did a little reading (I find the Forno Bravo site hard to maneuver around in). I've had the oven up to temp twice now, hot enough that the soot got burned off. How long do I need to maintain those temps to cook in? I'll only be doing 4 personal size (10-12") pizzas this time so I'm sure it won;t be a big deal, but is it so long as the whole thing has the soot burned off I'm good to go? or do those temps need to be maintained for a while?

wife got a wood peel today. we'll try it out for launching, but I still need something to get rid of the ashes on the floor. I'm thinking of just attaching a piece of thin sheet steel to a stick and pushing it out of the way since I don;t have a slotted peel. Any other tips or tricks?

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
When the black on the walls is gone, you are good. Use the wood peel to beat the ashes away. FYI ashes are tasteless, odorless, and sterile, so you really don't need to worry too much about them (plus they do not stick to the pizza, so if you use a cooling rack they all drop off anyway). For 4 pizzas in a new oven, you will probably have a couple pizzas in the 2-3 minute range, then the other 2 in the 4-6 minute range. So plan Neapolitanish first 2, then New Yorkish for the rest.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Also FYI, for making pizza, not ovens, pizzamaking.com has all the answers, but it is very dense information and unless you are a Googlemeister, it will be hard to find the information you need even though it is certainly there.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Who? Me or Inner. if me I'll post some tomorrow night and after the weekend. Oven doesn't look much different other than the back wall being built. We're making pizza tomorrow, so cross my fingers. I'm going to get the front arch finished on the weekend, should make a visible difference. I have the roof all figured and wih the front arch done I can brick up to it.

Still not decided on a countertop, 75% sure it will be concrete but not 100%. It's keeping me from building the inner wythe of the rear wall which also ties into the side wall. I;m thinking i might leave a ledge for the countertop and corbel the brick over it.

I hate working at home
Inner.

Looking forward to your progress. I got my new peel today, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Been buning for about an hour now. the top of the barrel is all clear and the bottom inch or so is also clear. They're creeping closer together, hopefully I'll be throwing my first pie in about an hour...2 hour burn time would be really nice. it's a small oven so I think that's realistic.

Hearth Masonry oven Brick Fireplace Arch

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
This came out at about 2 hours and 1 minute after the fire started

My daughter won the thumb war or whatever and got the first pie out of the oven. MAYBE 70 secs..she doesn;t like tomato sauce so that probably made it quicker. The crust started bubbling within 10 secs
Dish Food Cuisine Naan Ingredient
This one was next, right around the 90 sec mark
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Bazlama
my wifes was about 2 mins and mine was maybe 3 minutes. Best crust I've ever had. What a difference, chewy but soft, and the crust had SOOO much flavour, like an artisnal bread

Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Pizza
Food Dish Cuisine Ingredient Baked goods
Then the kids made s'mores...a hit all around

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Still a lot of learning. Especially about using the peel. I had to use a spatula to slide the pies off the peel. I'll try to make a metal one or buy one and see if that works better. Would def work better for turning

181 - 200 of 218 Posts