Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pro
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the Hoover Dam etc.... were those pours not continuous???
Just off the top of my head....
With regards to the Hoover Dam....
Since concrete heats and contracts as it cures, the potential for uneven cooling and contraction of the concrete posed a serious problem. Bureau of Reclamation engineers calculated that if the dam was built in a single continuous pour, the concrete would take 125 years to cool and the resulting stresses would cause the dam to crack and crumble. Instead, the ground where the dam was to rise was marked with rectangles, and concrete blocks in columns were poured, some as large as 50 feet (15 m) square and 5 feet (1.5 m) high.[60] Each five-foot form contained a series of 1 inch (25 mm) steel pipes through which first cool river water, then ice-cold water from a refrigeration plant was run. Once an individual block had cured and had stopped contracting, the pipes were filled with grout. Grout was also used to fill the hairline spaces between columns, which were grooved to increase the strength of the joints.

JK...Wikipedia says...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I saw the traffic jam on the news hehehe

Jamzilla!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Limks didn't work for me.Got a msb page and a link not found.How many yards was it?
The biggest monolithic pour I have done was on Marco Island ,FL and we poured 4500 yards in one day for a condo on the beach.don't remember the depth but there were around 400 piles drove to a depth of 150' and the depth of the pour was around 8'.
It was in the 90's and my memory is foggy but that's close.\
Started at 3:eek:o am and finished around 7:00 pm.We had pumps,cranes,trucks backing upi.Anything that would work to get mud in the hole.Tied up every batch plant for a few counties that day.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Yowsa, World Record Continuous Concrete Pour...

We did a company record of 6,800 yards earlier this year. Over 800 trucks in 22 hours place and finish. One of two mat pours. Impressive, and in downtown congested SF. Only 49 floors to go.

·
Vendor
218 Posts
Limks didn't work for me.Got a msb page and a link not found.How many yards was it?
The biggest monolithic pour I have done was on Marco Island ,FL and we poured 4500 yards in one day for a condo on the beach.don't remember the depth but there were around 400 piles drove to a depth of 150' and the depth of the pour was around 8'.
It was in the 90's and my memory is foggy but that's close.\
Started at 3:eek:o am and finished around 7:00 pm.We had pumps,cranes,trucks backing upi.Anything that would work to get mud in the hole.Tied up every batch plant for a few counties that day.
Google wilshire grand or record concrete pour. It was 21,200 cubic yards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts