Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rental that needs foundation repair. After getting 5 estimates I finally decided on a company. The other company I was considering had a great sales guy that I liked so I did him a courtesy and sent him an email letting him know we went with another company. Well here an hour later I get an email from the owner asking about the other estimate and stating they really want the job.
Does this seem odd to you? I thought the owner was an ass (he came out on their second visit). He kept making comments under his breath and was generally rude.
Plus they were priced almost double...amongst other things.
You all ever done something like this? I've asked for clarification so I can get better at estimating but never begging for work.

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
I've asked for clarification so I can get better at estimating but never begging for work.
Better to beg for work than beg for food... :whistling

Go with your gut... harder to regret... :thumbsup:

I'd rather go with my gut and be wrong than go against my gut and be wrong...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not my style...he sounds hungry.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Tell them if they really want the job that bad, do it for what the other estimate was.
That will tell you if they REALLY wanted the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very true...if he would have listened they probably would have my business. Told him exactly what we wanted to do and he goes and quotes the full shebang.
I emailed the owner back today...no response. Like I said...I didn't really like the guy anyway. Told me he was an engineer... and he owns a foundation repair/waterproofing company. I figure he is a structural engineer or something similar. He has a degree in electrical engineering technology. That's like someone saying they are a doctor only to find out they are a doctor of theology or English.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Am I misunderstanding something, or did you get 5 bids, and you're asking whether you should give the losing contractors a shot again, with the added info of the winning bid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got 5 bids...just asking if anyone has contacted a customer asking for other bids info, scope, etc.
Just thought it was odd after I had already explained what we were looking for. He and his company obviously didn't listen to me.
A good lesson for us all....listen to what your customer is telling you. This guy bid himself out of a 10k job because he wanted to sell a 20k job. Then asks why he didn't get the job.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I got 5 bids...just asking if anyone has contacted a customer asking for other bids info, scope, etc.
Just thought it was odd after I had already explained what we were looking for. He and his company obviously didn't listen to me.
A good lesson for us all....listen to what your customer is telling you. This guy bid himself out of a 10k job because he wanted to sell a 20k job. Then asks why he didn't get the job.
I always contact every sub or supplier who's given me a quote for a job that they didn't get (either because I gave the work to someone else, or because I didn't win the job). I thank them for their proposal and tell them why they didn't get the business. If the reason was price, I tell them how much they were off, approximately. If someone pushes or begs for another shot at it, I tell them I'll keep them in mind for the next one. With some guys, it's just their tactic for bidding. The next time, maybe they'll give me their best bid the first time.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I posted a long answer and then decided I was typing for no reason.
If you want to do the guy a favor, call him and tell him the exact reason he didn't get the bid.
A complaint is the best thing a business can ask for. It gives them the opportunity to improve. (I don't know who said this)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts