Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy who has a sign business and is really good at it. I shot him an email today telling him what I was looking for. He shot me this back, what do you think? All I am really after is name recognition. I'm not sure I care for the color he picked...

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here we go, I should add I'm getting the for free...kind of. He just built a house and I'm installing some base and shoe and then we'll settle up the difference whichever way it goes. This isn't my van. He had pics of this van already so he just photoshopped them on there.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like it. Clean, neat, easy to read quick.....the only thing i can think of is it going to get the attention of the normal person? will they realize that carpentry covers their baseboard needs? Like Ethan mentioned, maybe some forms of carpentry under the phone number....

on another note, do you guys have to show license numbers there? we do here in cali....

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Your here asking for advice and not speaking to your buddy. You not sure what's good or what you really want?

Is he a sign guy that prints/cuts or is he sign guy that actually has some design chops? If so have him shoot you some different ideas, fonts layouts ect. Have a "graphics" (not Graffix) conversation with him.

NEVER EVER take a single design as what you settle for. Good to great lettering/design is not a one trick pony. Especially a rapid response after an email to a friend. Feel confident to ask for different ideas... If he's in the bidness, it's part of the gig.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts
Do you stay busy or are you looking for work?

If you are staying busy...I like it. Simple and bold.

if you are looking for more business, you need more info added.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,456 Posts
NEVER EVER take a single design as what you settle for. Good to great lettering/design is not a one trick pony. Especially a rapid response after an email to a friend.
I think his friend knocked it out of the park with the lettering and design.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I really appreciate it.

Before I reply to anyone I'll explain my philosophy on the lettering as concisely as possible...

1) I don't want a potential client that does not know what I drive to think a child molester is parked in their driveway. For whatever reason, a lot of people think "shady" when they see an unmarked white van. It is good to let them and their neighbors know who you are.

2) I have to word this carefully, I'm not trying to directly get leads through my van lettering, it is a small part of a bigger picture. My reasoning is this, everyone has friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc. If I am going to have some work done, I start asking around about who is good to get. I don't start looking around to see who has the coolest van lettering and hire them. This has been discussed before and I don't really want to get into it, I know my demographic, its small town Indiana and 90% of the time if someone is calling you solely because they saw your van going through town they are bid shopping. That can be a huge waste of time with little to no reward. If they see your van parked at the neighbors and call you because they saw the awesome deck you just built that's a different story.

3) I want my name to be very recognizable. I see so many vans with so much stuff on them you don't even know where to look and often can't even tell what/who the company name is. I'm not looking for flash, just simple and effective.

4) Professionalism. IMO lettering makes a person look more legitimate and professional. No its not necessary, and yes there are people much better who have no lettering but I think it helps and even if it doesn't I find it necessary because of reason #1.

5) I don't care for having a long list of specialties. To me it often screams I'm desperate and I'll do basically anything. As Ethan, said above, I'm starting out and am probably going to be changing as I find my niche.

I'm sure there is a lot of room for criticism of these points so feel free to let me have it. You can even post in you thoughts under each point if that is easier.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need a logo, it's for branding, people remember the logo

Think about

Nike
Coke
Budweiser
Coors
Johnny Walker
Belvedere
In the big markets that you mentioned, yes. But I disagree with when it comes to small to mid-sized town settings. People will be able to recognize the name long before a logo. "LEWIS" is easy to remember.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I would keep the lettering back off that side door gap. The layout would look more professional and it would make a nicer job.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts