Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how some of you framing contractors here began your career. What motivated you to start your own framing business? How long did you work for someone before you decided to go it alone? I am most curious as to how you went about getting your first contract. I would love to begin my own framing company but I am a little green when it comes to the business side. Anywho, tell me your story, please.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I worked for a guy that went out of business for reasons I wont get into here. We were in the middle of a few jobs so I told the customers I could take over the project or I could just leave. They all chose to have me continue working for them and I was off and running.

Many of the customers back then urged me to go off on my own but I would not have gone after customers of someone that employed me for ten years. So the fact that he got out of the business worked out great for me.

Dave

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I had a weird start. I really didn't go looking for a contract. It was conveyed to me in words more or less "if you work for me, it's by contract" I went through a tangled web of different contract scenarios beyond that, ended up working as the lead/foreman for a GC, then by mutual agreement I left to "go out on my own". A few months later, I was contracting with the GC I was lead for and both of us were happy.

Essentially, I was thrown into the pit and told "good luck"

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I'd been working for others for 15 years. The last GC I was with for 5 years until he went under. I just figured it was a good time to get the license and could use the former employer as the experience required. Felt bad for the homeowner on that last job. $100k worth of custom cabinets on a 6,000 sq ft home, but I was only halfway done. I talked to another sub this guy used 6 months later and he told me the guy had to get a 9-5 job and was still trying to finish that one house by himself after work and on the weekends. This guy was a GC for almost 30 years and ready to retire. Spent all his savings and got numerous loans to keep from going under. Until he did.

This guy called me out of the blue recently to ask me how to do something. Hadn't talked to him in at least 2 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was working for someone for over 14 years and was doing everything except get the check from the builder so i figured i would be better off starting my own and getting payed for it.. If you are good you will have the work ( word of mouth for me ) if you realy want something it will be easy to make hapen sometimes you just need to go for it you wont know if you dont try..

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
When my wife got pregnant with my first son, I decided it was either s#!t or get off the pot, so I got all my ducks in a row and put in my notice with the guys I was working for. Started my first job 3 days before he was born.:laughing: I actually did decks trimwork and cabinet installs for the first year, then decided to hire a crew and go back into framing. My first 2 framing jobs came by referal from a friend of my wifes, who happened to be the CTC. They were HOs who were contracting their own jobs. Third job was a referal from the first two HOs, also a HO/GC. Fourth was for the guys I left to go into business.:whistling It's funny, that was 15 years ago and I remember the first 10 framing jobs in order.:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts