Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the fastest way for a prospective customer to lose your interest in discussing their project.

Some of mine are

1. using the word cheap
2. not owning the land yet
3. not having a time frame
4. not having a budget
5. constantly interrupting my answer to their questions before I am finished to ask another question
6. not listening to the valid reasons their illegal idea is not a good idea
7. not listening to the valid reasons their bad idea is unworkable
8. rudeness
9. mentioning that they already have more than three estimates
10. acting rushed in more than one phone call like they cant talk even though they called us
11. making it obvious they have over researched the hell out of every intricate detail of their project and making the wrong conclusions that you have to unlearn them from
12. focusing on the wrong priorities in the wrong order
13. trying to change the way I do business
14. insisting I use some left over miscellaneous spare materials to save tiny amounts of money
15. when my crazy meter goes off

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
1. wanting to supply materials
2. wanting a material list
3. not listening to ideas or suggestions not having a time frame
4. not wanting a permit
5. having no idea of what they want done.
6. hinting of using illegal sub contractors or methods
7. using "cheap as possible" in any sentence
8. not knowing when and if they want to do it.
9. using "getting SOME estimates"
10. being rude or snobbish, better than me :mad:
11. Wanting a price right then and keep talking about it
12. telling me how to do it.
13. the words " I'll be here to help "
14. they keep looking at watch, time or cell phone.
15. when my D-BAG ALARM SOUND OFF.
16. when I show up for a prearrange meeting
and they're drunk, late, cooking or Not home yet..
17. waiting for a spouse because his "real busy"

I'll stop there, my fingers are cramping

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Anything unreasonable can be a deal breaker. I had a guy want me to redo all the lighting in his den, run wiring perpendicular to the joists without touching any of the drywall. Also, the first things I ask is do you own the property and is this your primary residence? If not, it's probably a waste of my time. Some of the things like 'cheap', I don't hear anymore. If you have the right systems in place as far as how you present price to them, then you will never hear the words it cost too much.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Anything unreasonable can be a deal breaker. I had a guy want me to redo all the lighting in his den, run wiring perpendicular to the joists without touching any of the drywall. Also, the first things I ask is do you own the property and is this your primary residence? If not, it's probably a waste of my time. Some of the things like 'cheap', I don't hear anymore. If you have the right systems in place as far as how you present price to them, then you will never hear the words it cost too much.
The most profitable customers I have, I am working on their "weekend home". Most are valued 750k+. So I don't worry about it being their primary residence.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
1. Can you come out and give me a free estimate?
2. Do you do side jobs?
3. They don't own the house yet.
4. They are an owner/builder looking for subs.
5. They are a big general contractor looking for subs.
6. They are a lawyer.
7. They are a realtor.
I'm sure I am missing some.

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
1. Can you come out and give me a free estimate?
2. Do you do side jobs?
3. They don't own the house yet.
4. They are an owner/builder looking for subs.
5. They are a big general contractor looking for subs.
6. They are a lawyer.
7. They are a realtor.
I'm sure I am missing some.
I agree for the most part.

One of my best clients is an attorney though.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
3. not having a time frame
I've become more attuned to this issue, and now direct more qualifying questions toward it than previously. If an owner is vague about schedule, I become more aggressive about closing - I'm OK with now or never, but not vaguely in-between. I probably lose the occasional deal that needs to percolate.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
1. The house is dirty/nasty or otherwise nearly impossible to get around as the result of horded stuff... ahem.. I mean TOO MUCH JUNK.

2. The client talks more and listens less and tries to rush through the contract only to come back a few days later wondering why I didn't mention some of the more "obvious questions"

3. The client is full of drama and hard luck stories.

4. I am expected to fix and/or work with substandard materials or used material which in turn takes more time, effort, labor, etc.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I had a similar experience but the client said it was easy, you just tie the new wire onto the old one and pull it through.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts