Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for your guys customers to.. Change their mind on about everything possible? I don't really mind, just wondering how you guys normally deal with it. I will never take a straight up painting job, or tell a customer I am a painter. I take drywall, skimcoat, lot of patching jobs and if needed I will paint if they want. The current job I did a lot of new drywall and skimcoat and painting rooms for them. First 2 rooms went fine, picked a color, paint, done. Liked it enough to have me do more.. This time they have gone back and forth.. Wanted duration, specific color couldn’t be done, so back to BM.. Changed color choice.. Then again.. Good news is they want me to do even more rooms now. Just wish they would make up their minds on color and paint.

My other question is about the primer.. First room per recommendations here I used GARDZ before and after the skimcoat and it came out great. Since the color they picked for one of the other rooms is a pretty dark blue and it’s a bigger room than the others it made sense to use a tinted primer here.. They want to skip the GARDZ since I will be priming anyway.. Any problems? The heavy patches were GARDZ before the skimcoat. I told them I will do what they tell me to do. The tinted primer used will be a BM Fresh start acrylic.

Thanks again so much

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Worst case scenario is a recently divorced woman. They are on a man-hating binge and can't make up their mind about anything. They pick the wrong color and it's YOUR fault! I walk away from these more than anything else.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Fresh Start will be fine, have it tinted either gray or close to the finish color.
From now on, if I was you, I'd spec the product, and let them pick the color. No hassles, you use a good paint everytime, and make a little jack on the mark-up. Plus, when you pick a good product, and stick with it, you learn how it will perform and cover, which helps in bidding production or materials.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.. 5, I can see hating it after the first.. but 5 is pretty bad.

I don't mind at all, these people have been pretty cool with me. They know I am not a painter, I made that clear up front. So it's nice of them to work with me. Guess I am just a good enough drywaller that my unskilled painting still looks decent.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Change their mind on about everything possible
it's YOUR fault
If your the acting salesperson, it IS your fault.
It is your job to SELL that client and look for objections right away.
If they change their mind too much, they do not percieve value or they do not trust you.

There are exceptions to the rule, so I don't wanna hear about the minority of people that fit into the "lame decider" category.
A majority of people will buy and stick with it if they percieve value and you have earned their trust.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
From now on, if I was you, I'd spec the product, and let them pick the color.... you use a good paint everytime...you learn how it will perform and cover, which helps in bidding production or materials.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Exactly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts