Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys got a question for you?
What type of "staff" do you keep, are you a one man show, are you a three man crew, do you just "manage" your field, office staff. I ask out of curiousity and to see how I set next to larger and or smaller companys. Myself I run a three man crew, one carpenter, one helper and myself, with my wife running the office. I want to expand in the next two years and really do not know which way I want to go :) thanks so much for looking

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I am a one man show. If the job is too much to do in a reasonable time frame I have 2-3 subs I can count on.
My wife would like me to expand so she can run the "office" but we work together like gasoline an a lit match.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm the same way . I'm not using helpers now . When work picks up we can split into 3 , three man crews and work three jobs at once . I don't really make money with helpers . I build additions from start to finish We don't do sheet rock , spackle, roofing , asphalt driveways , electrical work . I have been doing alot of paver walks , patios and walls .
I'm liking the work . I don't like planting shrubs or growing grass but will if I'm asked to finish the landscaping . We do alot of kitchen family additions with new windows , roofing , siding , and a deck.
our average job is 60 to 80 g . I like to do 10 jobs a year . John

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See I moved to TN from Atlanta, now in Atlanta I GC's everything did punchout on my jobs and that was it. Moving forward we move here and I am back to the tool belt which I like BUT have never run my own company this way (believe it or not) we use to do 75-250 reno in Atl, now just focusing on mainly Kitchen & Bath and specialty items.

So with your three man crew you are doing your own demo, framing, carpenty and punch out and still keeping it all above water?

·
remodeler
40 Posts
At one time I had 8 employees. I was out every day running the projects and keeping things moving along and my wife was taking care of the office and bookeeping. Since then I have downsized to just me and 1 helper that is a sub contractor. I actually like it alot better. I have also downsized the scale of the jobs I do so I can handle them with just me and a helper. Be careful getting too big too fast. The overheads increase and the profit margin shrinks of you do it wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do just fine with me and one helper. I've subbed out painting and carpet recently because I know that I can get it done quicker (cheaper) that way.

Everytime I think of expanding, I see my margins shrinking, so I am probably gonna stay this way for a while.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
yes I am a 1 man band and my "staff" is great. My "staff" has not had a complaint yet. In fact, my "staff" has been sought after.. a crowd pleaser if you may. I have had my "staff" asked for by name ( I won't tell you my "staff's" name here, it goes by many a name), my staff is usually the center of the party, and my "staff" is not one to tun down unfair odds.. say 3 to 1...:clap::clap::clap:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I too work alone for the most part. I had a helper for most of the summer but he moved on since i couldnt keep him busy. Right now i am a little behind so i will need to hire some temporary help but that is hard to find if you want quality help. I would like to expand so i have a full time helper "sub-contractor" so i can pick up some more work and a little larger jobs but i dont want to get too big and end up losing in the end.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I too am a 2 man show. Myself and 1 assistant,Feel funny calling him a helper any more.

During the busier times I would sub out the painting and drywall work,this year we have been doing it all.

I had a company many years ago with 8 full timers and about 80 part timers,I like it better this way.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I am a one man show, but have several friends that are one man shows too. When I need help I give them a call to help me on bigger projects.

When I went on my own from my fathers construction biz. he told me in order to make a lot of money. I either had to stay with me and a helper or go really big. Saying you won't make more money with employees until you get over 12 full timers. 4 crews of 3. He owned his biz for over 30 years and 12-20 employees for the last 20 years.

·
Shiloe
27 Posts
My company has three project managers and about fifteen carpenters. We're down 2 PMs and 6 carpenters from 2 years ago, but I think we've been good about reacting to the market and staying nimble. Company started out as a cabinet shop 25 years ago and that side of the business is about the same size as it ever was. Started a GC business about 11 years ago and have slowly grown to the present size. 2 full time office staff and one part time, but they also handle the cabinet shop.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It depends on how busy I am.
Right now it's only me and my main guy.
Last year there were about ten of us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts