Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just finished framing 2 basements and 1 laundry room over a 4 months period. now i haven't done any framing of interior construction for over 2 years

Usually when i frame walls i use blocking to keep the wood from twisting, but i see everyone does without, so i figure ill do it also, now all my wood used were hand pick and straight and with what ever crown on 1 side.
after the walls was framed, we went to another job to get that started for about 2 weeks gone, (this was for all 3 framing jobs)
we came back to Drywall and finish only to find some of the biggest crowns happening. and the crowns didnt happen on 1 side but both front and back. so it looked like a bunch of idiots framed the wall, now after drywall went on the wall waved.

in the 10 years i been doing this i have never seen wood do this or this bad.
should i just sticker the wood in the basement (strapped) for about 2 weeks before framing, to avoid this?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Use metal studs... Problem solved! Your walls will be dead nuts straight, and if your just doing partitions you can use 25g which when bought at a commercial supplier it's comparable to wood

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually only build bulkheads with steel, but with the walls the cost on everything goes up, electrical, plumbing, and labour time.
who knows might have to evolve that way

·
Registered
683 Posts
Was it all the studs or a few here and there? If it was the majority I'd say it was a bad bundle you got if it's a few I've had this happen a couple times. I take my saw cut it in the middle about half way through the 3 1/2 side and sister it up with a straighter stud.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id say it was more than just a few. and on 3 different jobs and 3 different suppliers. usually i expect a twist here and there but this was crown which i never seen before like this. i know the wood is young. so im thinking acclimate it before i start

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
It's hard to say if yours are any worse than what we have to deal with as all our material in "sun dried" and moves at will to some degree.
The better contractors that I work with do what's called "paper and plane" prior to cover. This a combination of using an electric plane to remove a crown and applying card board strips on the reverse side to build out bow. The strips are about 1/16" thick x 1 1/2" wide and are made just for this.
This takes quite a bit of time but worth the effort if you are selling a quality product. Smooth wall looks so much better.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gus. I was thinking the same thing.

But along the lines of, leaving the wood to acclimate in the basement for 2 weeks, then plain the minor crowns.

But honestly, how customers are, they wanna see action, and not watch wood dry haha.
they will call your phone till it lights on fire once you start a job and don't show up for 2 weeks, even if its in writing.
But this is something i am going to try and ill give my results if i remember. im sure this topic will come up again

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yellow pine will do it almost every time. I doubt that's what you have. I'm pretty sure YP is a southern thing. It pains me to see amateurs loading them up at the box stores because they're cheaper. I think all they're good for is for making forming stakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We always straighten our walls before the drywall is hung. Usually using a long straight edge and cutting the bowed studs and use shims to straighten them back out.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
If you know there'll be a delay, maybe put a temp stiffback on the backside to hold the plane as they acclimate...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts