Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We go up to the lake to shut down our place up for the year and it appears we have an elecrical problem.

We didn't go up there all summer and I get my electrical bill and everymonth it is about $4.00 except for June which is $90!
April $4.25
May $4.00
June $90.00
July $5.00
August $5.50
September $4.75

Something like 900 kilowatt hours in June.

We have a 1954 trailer up there and it has a Murray 60 amp fuse box with 4 circuits/fuses. One fuse is now blown and the circuit in the fuse box is now dead. I'm thinking the blown fuse has got to have something to do with this.

I get 220 volts coming into the the box, then it splits with 110 going to 2 fuses and 110 going to the other 2 fuses. 3 of the circuits test showing 110 volts the 4th is reading zero.

I have a red/black/white coming in from the pole, and there are neutrals in the wiring in the trailer which is a mix of old wiring from 1954 and one new romex wiring run.

I can't imagine there is anything serviceable inside this fuse panel to fix if something burned out to cause the circuit to blow and fail, and I also can't imagine finding a repalcement so I'm thinking my only alternative is to replace it with a new 60 amp breaker service.

I'm probably going to have to do it myself, not because I want to, but because the location is so remote it is going to be a problem getting an electrician out there to do it.

I hear that trailers are wired differently then a typical service, something to do with the ground, and all panels in trailers being sub panels by the way they are wired.

Anything I need to know?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Check the ground for current flow but I think that Rick probably hit it, sounds like you got hooked up to. You may want to call the power company, misreading one of the first two or three digits could easily do it as well.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Mike, The wiring in a 1954 trailer is nothing like it will be today. Most trailers in my area have to be wired from the pole with 4 wires, 2 hots a netural and a ground. You say you have three wires feeding the trailer. Does the older romex have ground wires in them? If you haven't had problems before, then just swap out the panel just as the old is installed. I take it there will not be an inspection.

When you check the voltage, are you checking after the fuse and is the power still missing after you replace the fuse? If you want to pay airfare, I could come out and ghange it for you :cheesygri

Sorry about the response time, I know it is shocking!!, but I was on vacation :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Could it be what i had, first higher electric bill, then normal bills, then the fire, seems mice chewed the cablesm in the walls.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
What did you end up doing??
If I remember correctly, Mr. Finley installed the new panel himself, without a permit and was caught. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison and got out in 1.5 with time served for good behavior. While he was in jail an electrical inspector went to look at his panel installation and noted it was some of the finest work he?d ever seen, he called Mobile Home Electrical Service Quarterly magazine and they ran a cover story and feature article on the panel installation. The Mayor of the town where Mike has his camper saw the article and was so impressed he awarded Mr. Finley a key to the city, a Red Lobster gift certificate for two (good at participating restaurants) and a honorary electricians license.

·
listen twice talk once!
668 Posts
They could have been estimating your meter for a long time and found out they were under charging you for a couple of years. Is th meter accecible for the utility company? Once I did a panel change and the old meter would not fit so I just stuck on the meter from the interuptable ac. I was going to call edison and straighten it out but ended up forgeting. Until the home owner (my brother) got a $7000 bill. It took him a year to straighten it out if I remember correctly. It was over 10 years ago.

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
If I remember correctly, Mr. Finley installed the new panel himself, without a permit and was caught. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison and got out in 1.5 with time served for good behavior. While he was in jail an electrical inspector went to look at his panel installation and noted it was some of the finest work he?d ever seen, he called Mobile Home Electrical Service Quarterly magazine and they ran a cover story and feature article on the panel installation. The Mayor of the town where Mike has his camper saw the article and was so impressed he awarded Mr. Finley a key to the city, a Red Lobster gift certificate for two (good at participating restaurants) and a honorary electricians license.

:laughing::laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts