Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sheet rocking a commercial building a few years ago and after a few 4x10 sheets I'd have to add a stud there after for about a 100' per room.

I looked at the GC one day and just said " is your framing crew stupid? " Now they are his own guys so he defended them and said what... you don't see that it's 16" from stud to stud.... as the bone head looked at 16" on the tape and went from stud to stud... funny :censored:ing guy.

I pulled the tape from the second stud and went down as far as I could with my 30'... he didn't say much after that...

I asked him how long he'd been GCing, he said his paint business went so well why not go out and GC.

???...???...:no:... Needless to say that was the last job I did with him.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you saying he had 16" BETWEEN every stud, or that his 16" wasnt always 16" on every stud.

Either way, careless and stupid.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't understand either, were the studs at 16", 24" or some other number.

And if they were supposed to be 16", what are you doing using 10' sheets instead of 12' sheets supposing they are installed horizontally.

·
Pro
506 Posts
I don't understand either, were the studs at 16", 24" or some other number.

And if they were supposed to be 16", what are you doing using 10' sheets instead of 12' sheets supposing they are installed horizontally.

commercial=vertical.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
If they were 16 o.c. why couldn't you
rip the first sheet and go from there?
I must be missing part of this....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry...

To clarify, he took the tape measure and pulled 16" and went to each gap and read about 16 in stead of pulling from the beginning of the wall like you would a lay out... I had to put the sheets vertical and not one time did I find 4'. This guy was a paint salesman running a million + dollar project. I just don't understand how someone can take on a project that large and not know basics as simple as pulling a layout on a wall... the job took forever.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
To clarify, he took the tape measure and pulled 16" and went to each gap and read about 16 in stead of pulling from the beginning of the wall like you would a lay out... I had to put the sheets vertical and not one time did I find 4'. This guy was a paint salesman running a million + dollar project. I just don't understand how someone can take on a project that large and not know basics as simple as pulling a layout on a wall... the job took forever.
Even if he laid them out right you would be cutting every sheet anyway using 10' sheets.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Gotcha! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
If they were 16 o.c. why couldn't you
rip the first sheet and go from there?
I must be missing part of this....
I think he was saying that they weren't 16 oc, from the edge of one to the edge of the next one was 16".

I wonder if he knew about the whole 15 1/4" measurement on the first stud. I'll guess not.:laughing:

Edit-neo, I somehow missed your obvious post that said "gotcha"-sorry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts