Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Scenario >>>

Got a phone call from somebody we had met with a month ago for a master bathroom renovation. Letting me know that we had came out look at his project and that now some things had changed, they were adding some additional work to the project.

One of my first questions was are you calling me to hire us to do the job and you want to get together and look over the changes and finalize everything or what are you doing?

His answer was that they were still deciding. He had 2 other bidders who have came back already and told him the cost of the changes and he was calling me now to have me look at it again.

Would you keep going along with this? What would you say?

---------------------------------------------
I told him no. I would pass on it.

He demanded to know why and I explained to him that the changes are a non-issue, if you haven't by now made a decision who you are hiring then price is the deciding factor because that's the only thing that is missing for you at this time on this 2nd round. You've already met everybody, you've already seen pricing on the original project, if you can't make a decision on who to hire yet, it's only because you are waiting on my numbers and then you'll make a decision based on price. (that's all that's missing for you is the last guys (me) price, so you're deciding based on price). I'm never the lowest price so I don't see any incentive to spend any more time with this. You should be able to hire somebody by now and it's just a matter of dealing with a few changes from the original scope of work.

Of course this upsets these types of people to no end and I got a dose of his sarcasm after that, and of course even though he told me fine, if that's the way you want to be whatever, of course he still questioned me again demanding further clarification as he couldn't believe I was not interested in at least giving him 'a rough idea of the costs for the changes'

He wanted to know how he could blindly hire me to do the job if he had no idea what I would charge him for the changes. I explained you already have 3 bids on the orginal work. You have 2 bids on the changes. You know already based on the original bids where I will come in compared to the other bidders, it won't be any different on the changes.

Again, the changes are irrelevant. If you can't make a decision already who you want to do your project it is only because your final decision is based on price, which is the only thing you are missing.

He wasn't happy.

I just believe these people don't even know themselves what their real motives are and are in denial.

What would you have done?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I probably would not start with a No right off the bat. Maybe you had the job and lost it because of the No (Probably not by the way he responded) I would explain that I may not be the cheapest. And maybe they do not want the cheapest. If they want to give me the job, sign a contract then I will come and give a price for the further work.

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
he sounds like a tire kicker to me, someone who was shopping for a wishful project who may not have committed to anyone.

if you are in the position to not follow leads, more power to you. There are a number of guys who would play along because they are hungry...just part of the state of economy we are living in.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
So much depends on the Vibe i get from the client. You can have two of the same circumstances. One person i might have completely blown off, another i might give the benefit of the doubt and go the extra mile. The way the guy argued and demanded an explanation indicates you did the right thing, GMOD.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I would have asked this at our first meeting and again during the phone conversation;

"How will you know when you have found the right contractor for this job?"

I'd have to hear his response to know what tack I was taking. FWIW, I agree he should be able to make a decision based on round 1 and handle the changes with the winner.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing. You have to stop after the first bid because our time involved in working bids is worth something. It's easy for something like this to get out of hand and have logged many hours only to find out that you aren't getting the job. I too would have thought that he would have chosen between the three already.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt we will hear back from him. You try to be non-confrontational as you can to leave the door open, but guys like that can't allow that, they feel bent out of shape when you try to bow out gracefully and turn it personal.

Glad to hear a few others would do the same, these price shopper, low price people are getting out of hand. You try to refrain from just saying, look if you can't afford it, not a problem, seems a lot of people are trying to force things right now. On the one hand it seems good that people are calling, but on the other it's like, man, unless you want to work for free or at a loss, what's the point?

Come on fellow Colorado contractors, do you really want to work for nothing for everyone?????

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Remember, according to our wonderful government we are in a recession and ALL contractors are HURTING for money. Thats why so many of these people are around. They have it drilled into their brains that this is the time to get the work done on your house that you want for the cheapest price possible. Then they find out that they were lied to and the prices are still high if they want to hire someone legitimate.

I know that I am not going to take a job if it means im working just to work. I work to make money, some guys just like to work.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I guess you'll never know.
He asked you to come over. Some people like to award jobs in person and celebrate with a glass of wine. He may have already made up his mind that he was going to hire you and wanted to clear up the extras and do the handshake in person.
What was your reading of him? You must have formed an opinion of his personality on the first meeting.
What is his profession?

·
Fisherman
71 Posts
Classic take away close LOL.

Sounds like a tire kicker thats getting closer to the start of a project. I would go out 1 last time and close the deal. He already has the other 2 bids.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, that's the risk I guess. I'm normally a just follow through and play the numbers game type of person when it comes to sales. But I'll admit with all the low balling going on I had to consciously slow down... take a deep breath and calmly explain myself to him. Did I do a good job? I don't know. Hind sight is always 20/20 and you can second guess yourself all day long. Chris to be honest, I can't even remember this guy. He caught me on my cell phone at lunch time. I'm just going to tell myself walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....to make myself feel better.

Plus it's Friday and it's almost happy hour time. Time for some Jamesons.

:drink:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Did you sign it after about 1:30 ? :laughing::wallbash:
Signed at 2:30. Right after I wote-up the two change orders for two more baths. We had drinks. He gave me a $1000 tip for coming out so soon and being nice about it.

You don't think it's the same guy do you? It is Friday - cheers :drink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts