Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid a job , got it & scheduled it . We start on monday . But when i went to deliver the wood flooring and opened the boxes and looked at the product i was a little taken back . The pre-finished wood comes in diffrent widths.

I've been doing wood floors & tile for almost 19 years but i've never seen wood come in diffrent widths. I've done many large tile projects with patterns , but this is diffrent.

The boards come in 4 , 5, & 6 inch widths . All the boards are radom lengths . Does anyone know how to lay this pattern ? Is there a simple secret i'm not seeing here?

Attachments

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
That's what you get for shopping at Menards.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Is it a mistake?

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
That is how I pictured it. Just curious. Do you find you discard more material when installing this specific type of flooring?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'm just not getting your question... But I'd say you either randomly alternate rows of each size, or repeat them in a pattern: 4, 5, 6--4, 5, 6, etc.

The wood is not a mistake .

Chrwright ,Thats make sense . Thanks for the heads up . All i have to do is not mixed the rows , Just make every row the same width . I was thinking of a off-set tile pattern , guess i'm just tired or retarded...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I installed this prefinished ash floor in random widths/lengths this last spring. I found that it does not look right when it is installed in a pattern. Random order looks best. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
I installed this prefinished ash floor in random widths/lengths this last spring. I found that it does not look right when it is installed in a pattern. Random order looks best. Good luck!
I agree...the flooring is meant to be random in layout

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have seen several companies who make this.
trick is.....If the person who measured did not do the math...you will have problems.
You have to order different square footages of each to get the project done depending on what the customer wants.

If it's just random...then you may be fine....

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I bid a job , got it & scheduled it . We start on monday . But when i went to deliver the wood flooring and opened the boxes and looked at the product i was a little taken back . The pre-finished wood comes in diffrent widths.

I've been doing wood floors & tile for almost 19 years but i've never seen wood come in diffrent widths. I've done many large tile projects with patterns , but this is diffrent.

The boards come in 4 , 5, & 6 inch widths . All the boards are radom lengths . Does anyone know how to lay this pattern ? Is there a simple secret i'm not seeing here?
First off, you need to scatter out the boxes to verify quantity of each width in lineal footage. If there is an equal amount of lineal footage, you are limited to little choice of pattern. I prefer some type of symetry, so I would start wide, medium, narrow. Repeat. You may want to do some math to make sure you don't end up with a narrow rip at the other end of the floor. It may benefit you to shift the pattern to acheive a better margin at the other wall. BTW, random plank has been around since the dinosaurs roamed the earth.:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The wood is not a mistake .

Chrwright ,Thats make sense . Thanks for the heads up . All i have to do is not mixed the rows , Just make every row the same width . I was thinking of a off-set tile pattern , guess i'm just tired or retarded...
Hopefully you're tired. If not.....your ride is here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off, you need to scatter out the boxes to verify quantity of each width in lineal footage. If there is an equal amount of lineal footage, you are limited to little choice of pattern.
Each box has exactly the same linear footage of each width. I was just overthinking & overlooking a simple pattern. I was just tired after a long 60 hr week.

I'll take a few pics when i done.Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, this may be a bit late in the day to help.Random width flooring is nothing new to me,before you lay a stick you should establish how many packs/bundles of each width you have.That done it's easy to work out the percentages of each width and the pattern you will need to follow.The percentage dictates the pattern.
mack.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Looks good. I see you found out that it is very difficult to maintain proper spacing between end joints on those types of installs unless a larger waste percentage is figured in eh? That's the downside to not ordering your own product. Keep that in mind to educate the sales staff or gc. I typically figure 15% on jobs like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts