Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,074 Posts
What's the deal with people not paying in full at job completion. Never in 16 years I've been in business have I had to wait past the day of completion. Spelled out in every contract.

Mike.

·
test
3,322 Posts
What's the deal with people not paying in full at job completion. Never in 16 years I've been in business have I had to wait past the day of completion. Spelled out in every contract.

Mike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,997 Posts

Mike.

Commercial I never get a check less than 30 days, have to front some money. Keeps a lot of competition out. I'm good with it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,074 Posts
We generally do a walk through, any final items and send the bill. No on lives here. Secomd + homes. Get a check in a week or two.

Commercial I never get a check less than 30 days, have to front some money. Keeps a lot of competition out. I'm good with it

Commercial is different I agree. But even when my decks push the 100k mark I've gotten paid day of final inspection. They have the whole time I'm building to shuffle the funds in order to be ready for that day.

Mike.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
90% of homeowners give me some form of payment upon completion. When I sub I get it within a reasonable amount of time. I ah e conditioned most to send it out within a week or two at most. Builders I’ll wait 30 days. Dosnt really matter. Just gonna sit in my account anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,997 Posts
Commercial is different I agree. But even when my decks push the 100k mark I've gotten paid day of final inspection. They have the whole time I'm building to shuffle the funds in order to be ready for that day.

Mike.

The difference for me between most of you guys is my customers do not live here. So the day I finish they're not here. We email a bill in a day or two and they send us the check.

Generally we walk through the house and they give me some small items like hanging pictures things of that nature and I send the final bill with those additional change orders after they leave and I'm completely wrapped up.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Punching above his weight
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That's the situation I'm in most times.

I rarely see the people I work for. They all work in the city. They're gone by 6am to catch the express train. They don't get home until 6 at night.
I just email them the final invoice and tell them snail mail is fine. I've never been stiffed. The bank check thing is relatively new to me though and it seems to add an extra 3-4 days on to the time it takes me to get paid.
Whatever, man. I'm paid in full as of this afternoon.

Now on to my favorite activity: Paying off someone else's student debt with my labor.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's the situation I'm in most times.

I rarely see the people I work for. They all work in the city. They're gone by 6am to catch the express train. They don't get home until 6 at night.
I just email them the final invoice and tell them snail mail is fine. I've never been stiffed. The bank check thing is relatively new to me though and it seems to add an extra 3-4 days on to the time it takes me to get paid.
Whatever, man. I'm paid in full as of this afternoon.

Now on to my favorite activity: Paying off someone else's student debt with my labor.
Seeing as you're a painter I'm assuming you probably get a substancial amount of smaller cheques. It's vastly more convinient to send out an email with the invoice and a link for the person to click on to pay the balance.

·
Punching above his weight
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry, one of my favorite parts of the trades is belonging to the guild of old cranks that hate change, technology, and "that damn Obama."

Death before ccbill.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Sorry, one of my favorite parts of the trades is belonging to the guild of old cranks that hate change, technology, and "that damn Obama."

Death before ccbill.
Do you buy things with a credit card?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No.

Death before credit hell.

Get off my lawn.

I see where you're going with this though.
What POS are you using?
I use QBO (Quickbooks Online) for both invoicing and payment processing. I still have my Square but I haven't used it in ages.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I suppose I could actually do something with the website I own...
I have 7 domains, coupe websites and none are live....on my to do list

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Artist and not a curator
10,624 Posts
I use QBO (Quickbooks Online) for both invoicing and payment processing. I still have my Square but I haven't used it in ages.
Stripe is the payment processor for QBO.

It's really reasonable if you don't have a lot of payments to process. I do at most 3 maybe 4 payments in a month and it makes my life sooooooo, easy. Well worth it.

I'm a procrastinating sob especially when it comes to paperwork. At least this way I never actually have to physically handle any paper because it goes directly into my account and added in my profit/loss... I feel like they're suckers... I'd give them at least another 25 bucks per process... Maybe another percent or two if they had someone I could call and just tell them to bill for "x" amount.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts