Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
I think once in 26 yrs I got a check that bounced from an over extended builder.

Bank checks are the most secure but I don't see the need. I could save time banking online but I don't trust it entirely plus I write checks in the field for subs. They like it and so do I.

As far as waiting...... I'm like pinwheel. Its money in the bank. A goal for your business would be to not be maxed out and reliant on every dime coming. I will draw crap paychecks to keep security money on hand in the account if work is spotty.

I have GC bud who doesn't pay quarterly taxes all year to build up cash flow then writes a huge check at once but ya have to be mindful of the debt

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,400 Posts
I think he means people using online bill pay. The bank takes care of writing and mailing the check.
Like I said, must be a millineal thing.:laughing:

I know there's more & more people doing everything online & digitally that aren't millineals, but I don't know that many. Most of our clientele is over 40 & learned to run a checkbook before smartphones.

·
Punching above his weight
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Luckily in painting there's really no such thing as being overextended. I usually don't even take a deposit for smaller jobs. Even on a big one you're rarely looking at more than $500 in materials.

I just worry about my wayward flock of payments. I want my dollars securely in my hands, in my accounts, earning interest for me, not floating around in space earning somebody else's bank interest. I don't want to see the rich get richer until I'm rich. Until that happens, gimme my money, son!

·
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Like I said, must be a millineal thing.:laughing:

I know there's more & more people doing everything online & digitally that aren't millineals, but I don't know that many. Most of our clientele is over 40 & learned to run a checkbook before smartphones.
The payments I'm talking about have all come from my older customers. The ones that really have their **** together. Doctors, lawyers, million dollar home owners. The young kids always ask if they can send it to me direct with Venmo. I always say no, I don't mess with that stuff. Then they write me a check with handwriting so poor that I'm often tempted to post it here, just because you would be amazed how little control some people have over their own wrists.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Seriously, this whole thing is just about being lazy and/or efficient. I can pay in seconds on my phone or desktop. I can also show the recipient that the payment has been made. And honestly, I like that the money comes out right away. Some people (myself included) hold on to checks for a month before getting around to depositing.

·
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is there an individual fee for each check written?

I think I pay $30 for about a hundred checks. That holds me for 2-3 years.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,708 Posts
Not from my bank.

·
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All my chickens came home to roost today. When it rains it pours, right?

Now to stow them safely in my bank, so I can compulsively check my balances, just to confirm they're still all where they should be.

Yes, I do this frequently.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
All my chickens came home to roost today. When it rains it pours, right?

Now to stow them safely in my bank, so I can compulsively check my balances, just to confirm they're still all where they should be.

Yes, I do this frequently.
Take CC instead.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,573 Posts
Take CC instead.
Been a game changer for how fast I get paid now. Used to be a week or two people shuffling money around accounts.

Now, I do 24 hrs no fee, after 24 hours I charge 3% extra. It's pretty nice and that 2.5% I have to pay is worth chasing down money, picking it up, finidng it in the mail, bringing it to the bank, etc. Also do bank transfers which are nice.

To tell you the truth, I raised most everything I do by 5% this year anyhow so it's even better and I don't feel a hit. I like taking credit cards and think of it as just me paying for a service (namely getting paid promptly) or the client paying it...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Been a game changer for how fast I get paid now. Used to be a week or two people shuffling money around accounts.

Now, I do 24 hrs no fee, after 24 hours I charge 3% extra. It's pretty nice and that 2.5% I have to pay is worth chasing down money, picking it up, finidng it in the mail, bringing it to the bank, etc. Also do bank transfers which are nice.

To tell you the truth, I raised most everything I do by 5% this year anyhow so it's even better and I don't feel a hit. I like taking credit cards and think of it as just me paying for a service (namely getting paid promptly) or the client paying it...
Exactly.

Besides I pay for everything with a CC so I'm fine getting fvcked over in the same respect....good for the goose...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 55 Posts