Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been stuck in this funk for about the last 8-10 months. When I say funk I mean I just feel like doing nothing most times. My business has really slowed down and I don't even give a chit. I am still working but now I work about 2-3 days a month and days I do the work myself I dont work very long days. We have had some pretty good storms lately and I have actually neglected even returning calls on some roof jobs, something I would never have done before. Didnt put any signs out or contact any homeowners during the last storms. I did get 3-4 jobs from the storm but I put no effort into it.

I have done a lot of roofing the last 20 years and honestly I don't know if I am just less motivated because I aint broke(by no means am I wealthy enough to quit working).....or if I am burned out or what it is. I go out and do a roof or 2 a month and am happy. Maybe I am just getting older(46) and tired of this rat race....I don't know.

Thinking of making a change and maybe starting to build homes, or maybe even taking an adjusters gig....or working in the shingle grinding sales or bounty hunting big rigs, lol.

Need to pull myself out of this funk and get going again.....need to get motivated and driven again.

Any of you ever experience this? How did you work through it?

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
2-3 days a month??????

That is more than just a funk. I get like that when times are slow, but I try to stay busy with anything rather than sit around thinking about it. I am 47 and have been framing for 30 years now. No way could I get by with coasting and not getting after it. You probably should see a doctor and see if there are medical reasons for what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Try to come up with a new business plan. Restructure the business. Take the business in a different direction. It will remotivate you.

And, yes. I have my bad days too

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Yup. Congrats for having the energy to write this. Sounds like you've been wrestling with it and it's time to call in a little bit of help. Nothing wrong with that. Your doc (general practice, internal medicine, etc.) is a great place to start. They'll talk, do a couple tests, and maybe send you off with a script or a referral, depending on the eval. Highly recommended by now. Go for it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Not to be a dick, Im only 31, but maybe low t? I have a friend who is a builder who had the same thing happen, same age group, and got testosterone treatment and feels a lot better.

Weight training is supposedly a natural cure for low t. Squats are low ts enemy his doctor told him. He opted for the shots.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
My funks usually happen when on a weekday I am home to see "The Price is Right"

If it's been going on as long as you say, talk to a doctor.

There is NOTHING wrong with seeing a shrink either if your doc recommends it. Depression is nothing to mess around with anymore now that they have ways to treat it. Don't ask me how I know this.:jester:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The solution:

Stop drinking, stop smoking, stop overeating and stop j/o-ing. All of those things cause depression and that in turn makes you lethargic as it hinders your sensible reasoning ability.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
The solution:

Stop drinking, stop smoking, stop overeating and stop j/o-ing. All of those things cause depression and that in turn makes you lethargic as it hinders your sensible reasoning ability.
That sucks ;):laughing:

Ill take the squats :laughing:

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
My brother is in a very similar situation, except he's only 28. I often wake up feeling a heavy sense of dread and can barely motivate myself to get started. I've forced myself to keep moving so I don't seize up.

In mine/my brothers situation it's definitely hugely anxiety and depression. I hate the idea of depending on medication for anything but I took citalopram for about a year and it helped a lot. You can't sit idle for too long. It just get harder the longer you feed into it. Even if you're not working for a client, get outside and move - be productive, and stay stimulated.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
You've got to find what your "why" is. We all have the things that drive us and if any of us lose sight of out "why" we lose motivation.

Work for money
Work for your wife
Work to support your family
Work to better yourself
Work to make the world a better place
Work because God made you a roofer and that is what your calling is

It can bee a lot of different things.

Set a goal and move towards it. With no objective there is no reason to get up in the morning.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,323 Posts
In addition to the above think about doing the house building as you mentioned. There's more variety in doing a whole house compared to just the roof and that might help alleviate the boredom that can happen when doing the same thing repeatedly.

Also with you doing the work on the roof yourself as you know it is not the most easy way to work, always bent over, going up and down ladders, chicken boards, getting broiled by the sun (most weathered guy I ever knew had been a roofer in Nevada his entire life, looked like a walking stick of jerky). If you do houses you can work on the parts that you can do and that aren't as hard on your body and sub or have employees do more of the grunt stuff.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The solution:

Ted I'm pretty sure those things fix depression. :whistling

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your guys advice. I don't really think I am depressed....as much as just burnt out. Roofing is a rat race anymore. Everyone is a roofer and most of them have never roofed a house. I just get tired of trying to explain to people everyday why so and so is so cheap. Thinking if I get into building 2-3 nice homes a year, that I am building for people who will take as much pride in them as I put into them....maybe that would help.

I get tired of doing work for people who are having the insurance pay and still want to steal what they can of it...as the house payment is 3 months late, car about to be repo'd and yard is knee high. They have no pride and are not proud of their homes. They are disrespectful and unappreciative. The only reason they get the house roofed or sided is because insurance and mortgage company is making them.

By the way....I got a friend who shots himself with some kind of testosterone, he said the doctor charges too much. But he says it makes him feel like a different person, like he was 25 again.

Any how......thanks to you all.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
You just described my life to a t. I dunno wtf is up w me but this storm came thru and while everyone what running around selling roofs I was sleeping and didnt give a crap either. In fact I sleep every day til about 1:30. The only real reason I get up is cuz my kid wants me to feed her and take her swimmin.

Good advice here but drs don't know chit. Don't waste your money on a bunch of pills that waste your liver and have 100 possible side effects. Just read. Figure out what vitamins you're lacking. It could be parasites, no kidding.. there are certain parasites that drain your energy bigtime. Sounds crazy but its true. Try a parasite cleanse & Liver cleanse... but don't buy those bs colon cleanses in a kit, that chit doesn't work.

I read this book by benard jensen called ....well the title is the worst title ever, A GUIDE TO BETTER BOWEL CARE and I bought it cuz a friend told me about this 7 day cleanse that was in this particular book.. its called the "7 day cleanse" & its pretty brutal but its supposed to get you back "as close to brand new" as you can get.

I was obsessed with reading this book cuz this lady who was my height 5'7", my age 37, my weight 125 had the same complaints I have and she said she did the cleanse and chit a bucket of worms. I was so disgusted thinking maybe I had some worms.. I ran out and bought all the stuff for this cleanse and.....

yeah, I have had the book for like 7 years now and still "about to" do that cleanse. My willpower is like " restraint? Wtf is that? f you, yeah right, go ahead and eat that cookie"

So, if you are going to see a dr, I suggest you go see a holistic one that does live blood cell analysis. That will tell you exactly what is wrong w you

1 - 20 of 47 Posts