Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so for starters, I mainly sell decking material. But at the same time I am a firm believer that you can't sell something if you have never actually worked with it. To that end I do build some decks, but not many. And up until this year always just ground level. This summer I built a 2nd floor deck, by myself! I have to say you guys who always work by yourselves are insane! (Joking of course) Goodness guys, it is a lot of work trying to do the framing up by yourself. And working with pressure treated 6*6's on the wet coast after soaking in the rain all winter when they weigh about 500 lbs a piece.....:censored:

Certainly has been a learning experience. I had no idea just how much extra effort it would take to build compared to ground level.

Here is a couple pictures of the yet unfinished deck. Lots to do yet but was in a big push to get most of the decking down and finished before the rains started. (I beat the rain by 2 days) The rest I can stain inside before I install. Not the most efficient, but that is life on the west coast. The posts are all going to be wrapped in the same material as the deck. And yes the present safety railing was my own design:laughing:

I did have a couple of helpers but they do not like doing the heavy work!

Attachments

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Yea it is a lot of work but it helps too work smarter not harder!!!

I've come up with some real good problem solving skills in my time.

The biggest job I tackled by myself was too frame, insulate and deck and apply epdm. I don't care who believes that I did it by myself the owner and my delivery guy know for sure though . 250 square all material hauled up stairs I had to build before I even started and it took all summer!!! But I took all winter off lol

You did a real nice job on that deck!!!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Natural.... Deck looks great.... Railing kinda looks like Andy's prize deck.:clap:

I do alot of work alone.... often times it is far less efficient... but kinda fun/interesting in devising methods (trailer park engineering) to get it done.

What's your finish on that.....?

Best

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
BC is not the west coast. California is the west coast.

When I see decking patterns like those squares it seems to me to look plain silly. A lot of work for no reason. Doesn't go with anything or have any designer purpose.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
He said 'wet coast'..;)

Are those treads just grooved on a ts?

Nice finish:thumbsup:

Reactions: donerightwyo

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Awesome Golden Retrievers! I'm surprised you got the job done with all the licking they do.:laughing:

Oh, and the deck is cool too.;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
BC is not the west coast. California is the west coast.

When I see decking patterns like those squares it seems to me to look plain silly. A lot of work for no reason. Doesn't go with anything or have any designer purpose.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
We are what we are, certainly not south...

Reason for patterns was because we ran out of wood. Had lots of 6' * 6" pieces and did not want to have so many joints so we did two diamonds, your right a lot of extra work. But was the only way we could get it finished with the wood we had.

And yes it is our Ash. Nice to work with will see next summer how the weather treated it. But the walk way we did 18 mths ago has stood up well, other than the stain.

We used a stain called SanSin is a water based product so not film forming and they have a specific verision for thermally modified, basically pigment in finer so and is to absorb better that way. Not cheap though.

Sorry what is a "ts" (Are those treads just grooved on a ts?)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome Golden Retrievers! I'm surprised you got the job done with all the licking they do.:laughing:

Oh, and the deck is cool too.;)

the older one was giving me a complex. every time I picked up a power tool she would run around behind the side of the house. when stopped she would look to see if still in hand. only came back after tool was put down!:mad:

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
The older one was giving me a complex. Every time I picked up a power tool she would run around behind the side of the house. When I stopped she would look to see if it was still in my hand, and only came back after tool was put down!:mad:
Fixed it for you.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,386 Posts
Looks nice, certainly better looking wood than the TM decking I've seen around here.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree hard sometimes by yourself. The hardest thing I ever did was starts pole bar by myself my workers were out in morning for different reasons. It involved setting 6 by 6 16 ft long posts in holes drilled 4 ft deep. Thank god my helpers showed up after 7 th post. I think I was a lot stringer then not sure is I still would be able to do it.

·
New Quirky Carpenter
1,341 Posts
naturalwood said:
Ok so for starters, I mainly sell decking material. But at the same time I am a firm believer that you can't sell something if you have never actually worked with it. To that end I do build some decks, but not many. And up until this year always just ground level. This summer I built a 2nd floor deck, by myself! I have to say you guys who always work by yourselves are insane! (Joking of course) Goodness guys, it is a lot of work trying to do the framing up by yourself. And working with pressure treated 6*6's on the wet coast after soaking in the rain all winter when they weigh about 500 lbs a piece.....:censored: Certainly has been a learning experience. I had no idea just how much extra effort it would take to build compared to ground level. Here is a couple pictures of the yet unfinished deck. Lots to do yet but was in a big push to get most of the decking down and finished before the rains started. (I beat the rain by 2 days) The rest I can stain inside before I install. Not the most efficient, but that is life on the west coast. The posts are all going to be wrapped in the same material as the deck. And yes the present safety railing was my own design:laughing: I did have a couple of helpers but they do not like doing the heavy work!
Tell that to our customers!!! :laughing :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts