Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent email :

Hi Mike

Each and every day I love my bathroom more and more!!!!

Now, I have another project. I know that you only do bathrooms. But, we were very impressed with one of your subcontractors – Dave – who did the tile work. We are interested in having our kitchen floor (wood) changed out from wood to tile and would like to speak to Dave about it. But, we “follow the rules” and since he was your subcontractor am going through you.

How would we best go about getting a bid on this project?

John

I was talking with a plumber about a week ago about different types of customers and we were both in agreement that there were certain customers who brought out the best in tradesmen, certain customers who you would bend over backwards for, go extra miles, throw in freebies with a smile and other types a tradesman wouldn't put an extra nail in the project unless they were forced to.

I think we all know which this one is. :thumbsup:

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
So, the question is, are you doing a kitchen floor?
I'm sure Finley will contact Dave immediately after placing the bid on the job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Even though you know it, it must give you a GREAT sense of satisfaction that doing things on the up and up and professionally NEVER goes un noticed and is reiterated by a client!:thumbup:

Good for you Mike.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Someone needs to demo the wood right?

No tile guy can handle that the way the great Finley & Co can. We'll have to package that into one easy price for the great customer as to not burden them with paper work.

Just kidding, I'm sure you will have her best interests at heart. :thumbsup:

There are those customers that I give hugs to when I see them. She sounds like a good hugger.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Mike, what would you think if "dave" took the job without your knowing?

That was a great compliment from your client, but it wasn't necessary....so you'll make $$ from a job you're not doing. Though, your sub knows if he steps on your toes you won't use him again.

I'm curious how you handled this....

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, what would you think if "dave" took the job without your knowing?
It would have been fine. Our business is doing bathrooms. I send a lot of work to all our subs or friends of mine that is outside of what we do when I get calls from past customers. Tile repair jobs or tile jobs outside of what we do I refer directly to our tile subs, hot water heater replacements I refer to our plumbers, somebody wants a ceiling fan or something... directly to our electricians... whole house recarpets (I refer a lot of these, for some reason customers are always doing recarpets around our jobs)... those I refer to my carpet wholesaler and my carpet installer, somebody wants their house painted... refer it to a painter friend... etc... etc.. etc...

That was a great compliment from your client, but it wasn't necessary....so you'll make $$ from a job you're not doing. Though, your sub knows if he steps on your toes you won't use him again.

I'm curious how you handled this....
I contacted the customer and quized them about the scope of work, the total scope is beyond what the tile setter will be capable of doing for this level of a client. As a favor to a great customer, we will do all the work involved except the tile, there is a lot more then just throwing some tile down, the customer realized it and hoped we'd do the work. The tile setter will get the tile work.

Bottom line though, is that you gotta love some customers. Some people really 'get it' and help make up for those that don't.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Bottom line though, is that you gotta love some customers. Some people really 'get it' and help make up for those that don't.
:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
My best clients are the ones with a lot of remodel experience and have been burned in the past.

Once they see we want to the right thing and do what we say we would do when we said we would do it, they are in the fan club.

All people want is someone they can trust with their home, belongings, kids, pets and spouses, right? What's the big deal?:laughing:

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
All people want is someone they can trust with their home, belongings, kids, pets and spouses, right? What's the big deal?:laughing:
Here we go with the walking the HO's dog thread!!! O.K. but I ain't changing no kiddies diapers!!!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Here we go with the walking the HO's dog thread!!! O.K. but I ain't changing no kiddies diapers!!!
I was just referring to their desire to find them all with no signs of abuse as a result of our visit.:laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
... whole house recarpets (I refer a lot of these, for some reason customers are always doing recarpets around our jobs)... those I refer to my carpet wholesaler and my carpet installer, ...
Those are good ones, "We've been waiting
to recarpet til the bath/kitchen/whatever
was done."
The red flag ones...."We just had this new
white wool carpet installed, then decided
to do the bathroom and entryway...
the black grout will make a nice contrast."

:thumbsup:
My two favorite families always schedule
their work for the annual vacation. :clap:

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I was just referring to their desire to find them all with no signs of abuse as a result of our visit.:laughing:
o.k. that works also.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I remembered this thread, so I wanted to dig it up. Mabey if this thread got some more contributing "encounters" it could pick up steam and be a sticky for all the ho passers by we get here, couldn't hurt.

Recent email:

Morning Chris -

No worries about the MIA 2x4 or the trailer/equipment. The trailer isn't in the way and its good advertising for you J

Thank you for building such an amazing deck. We're going to have a great time showing it off! It's a work of art.

We've been floored by your attention to detail and your professionalism. If only all contractors could be as dedicated and pleasurable to deal with as you.

The pics look great! We love what you did with the pavers at the bottom on the stairs. We're going to level them off and keep them there.

You're welcome back any time to take pictures. Let us know you're coming and we'll have a beer (or any other beverage of choice) ready for you.

See ya soon -juli

P.S. - just submitted a rating. Of course, I gave you a perfect score...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:03 PM
To: Juli
Subject: Re: Deck Perspective from 2nd floor

Hello Juli & Tim,

I'm still waiting to hear what's going on with this ELUSIVE 2x4 to finish off the stair rail cap. It just makes more sense to leave the equipment there so I can finish it off, than to lug everything back and forth, sorry for this inconvenience, this stuff happens from time to time.

At any rate, I just wanted to extend a sincere thank you for considering me to build such an amazing deck to compliment the amazing setting and view you have there. I'm sure it will be the focal point of many outdoor memories for years to come.

I talked to the inspector yesterday, he should be signing off on the permit soon. Additionally, I submitted your warrenty registration via moisture shield's website.

Again it was a pleasure conducting business with with you both, I can't emphasize ENOUGH how I wish all projects and customers were as pleasurable to deal with as you guys. I took a bunch of pictures, but would like to get some more, some time later once it looks a little more "lived in". I look forward to hearing from you, feel free to contact me anytime.
Sincerely,
Chris Kadyszewski
484-467-0458 - phone
610-644-7972 - fax
www.customdecksandcarpentry.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Customers

I totally agree 1 good customer will always make you forget about the ones who just do not get it (as long as you do quality work and always have the homeowners best interest in mind you will always do fine--guaranteed!). But some customers do not care and just want a cheap job and they want you to do some shotty job --I'll pass on that :no:.

I give a thumbs up :thumbsup: for the customers who make us remember why we love what we do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts