Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
Looks good to him.:w00t:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's gotta be impossible!

And, only 6 years for a robbery resulting in a cop death. That's the real story- how the ??
He didn't pull the trigger........ :no:

·
spazman
Flooring
779 Posts

And, only 6 years for a robbery resulting in a cop death. That's the real story- how the ??
Maybe they figure its to expensive to keep a blind guy in prison. It costs a lot to keep healthy people locked up so I'm guessing it would cost more to incarcerate the handicapped.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Maybe it was his age? Maybe the chances of him doing it again are pretty slim. Maybe the courts figured losing his sight was a pretty just punishment. Ask your self this question, honestly, would you rather spend life in prison and keep your sight, or be let free blind?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Maybe it was his age? Maybe the chances of him doing it again are pretty slim. Maybe the courts figured losing his sight was a pretty just punishment. Ask your self this question, honestly, would you rather spend life in prison and keep your sight, or be let free blind?
You know what happens to guys like me in prison? Lol

12 year old kids are getting charged as adults these days.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
kambrooks said:
You know what happens to guys like me in prison? Lol 12 year old kids are getting charged as adults these days.
I don't know what to think of that. Something doesn't seem right about that. There either an adult or their not. How can a court change that?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
You know what happens to guys like me in prison? Lol

12 year old kids are getting charged as adults these days.
I don't know what to think of that. Something doesn't seem right about that. There either an adult or their not. How can a court change that?
Because now kids are planning and committing murders and placing it up on youtube to brag about it. They know full well what they are doing, when you plan to do something like that you need to have the same consequences as an adult.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I think the only difference is if he's charged as an adult it stays on his record for life, as a juvenile it goes off his record when he turns 18. They're not changing the fact wether they are an adult.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It was a very interesting story. The house is a replica of his childhood home. No blueprints, braille tape measure, and power tools.

As far as his prison time, I thought they said he was a teenager and he went along with his dad on a robbery. He has paid his debt.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

He was 18 at the time ... following his father..... and that was 30 years ago. 30 years ago they were still writing just "traffic" tickets for drunk driving. You know pay the fine, maybe loose a few points and away you go. No arrests, mug shots ect. Different era and thinking of the public.

Very impressive that he is building the house. Like his sense of humor.

LOL How many times have y'all said you could do it with your eyes closed LOL

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Leo G said:
Because now kids are planning and committing murders and placing it up on youtube to brag about it. They know full well what they are doing, when you plan to do something like that you need to have the same consequences as an adult.
I guess it hard for me to fathom, this , when I was that age we settled fights like dad taught us. We didn't use weapons unless it was for hunting. I don't think I was capable of even thinking about murder, let alone doing it then. Back in the 70's when I was a kid, I think trying someone as an adult was very rare. Now days it's the norm.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, I think trying someone as an adult was very rare. Now days it's the norm.
It's essentially based upon the egregiousness of the crime--which in a way is a double standard. The same kid would be tried as a juvenile for shoplifting, but as an adult for murder.

You see it more often these days because such crimes actually happen more often, for a variety of reasons. :sad:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Tinstaafl said:
It's essentially based upon the egregiousness of the crime--which in a way is a double standard. The same kid would be tried as a juvenile for shoplifting, but as an adult for murder. You see it more often these days because such crimes actually happen more often, for a variety of reasons. :sad:

I don't think it's quite a double standard. I think I'm okay with the law surmising that: 13 year old that can think "dad puts his gun the case in his closet, and the key in the kitchen cupboard. He puts the ammo in the basement. Johnny always teases me at school. If I take the gun after dad leaves for work, shoot Johnny after school, and put the gun back before dad gets home no one will know", needs to be out of the public.

I believe in reform but how much in tax dollars will it cost to incarcerate, counsel, educate and reform him and what are the odds it works in 5 years? That's obviously not to say it's better to lock him up for life... Idk.

I'm okay letting a shoplifter off easier than a murderer.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
kambrooks said:
I don't think it's quite a double standard. I think I'm okay with the law surmising that: 13 year old that can think "dad puts his gun the case in his closet, and the key in the kitchen cupboard. He puts the ammo in the basement. Johnny always teases me at school. If I take the gun after dad leaves for work, shoot Johnny after school, and put the gun back before dad gets home no one will know", needs to be out of the public. I believe in reform but how much in tax dollars will it cost to incarcerate, counsel, educate and reform him and what are the odds it works in 5 years? That's obviously not to say it's better to lock him up for life... Idk. I'm okay letting a shoplifter off easier than a murderer.
Yea, but just by nature he doesn't think like an adult. So why is murdering someone considered adult thinking. Why can't it be human thinking at any age. The problem is the laws are not strict enough for juveniles. The only reason they try them as adults is because they stand a chance of getting paroled as juveniles. Wouldn't it make more since to just change the punishment for juveniles that kill, and call them what they are?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts