Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last three years, the county has had a scenic improvement project going on in phases. I just bid phase 5. I have done all 4 phases so far. I know my cost and margins to the penny. This phase was approx 3 months and 1.2M in total revenue. My material cost was 450k.
Got the letter today that I LOST the bid. BY 550k :eek::eek::eek:

It was a brand new contractor. How he got bonded, I have no idea. When I called the county engineering and contracts office, they told me "we have already made our decision".

I can't wait to see how this comes out

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
For the last three years, the county has had a scenic improvement project going on in phases. I just bid phase 5. I have done all 4 phases so far. I know my cost and margins to the penny. This phase was approx 3 months and 1.2M in total revenue. My material cost was 450k.
Got the letter today that I LOST the bid. BY 550k :eek::eek::eek:

It was a brand new contractor. How he got bonded, I have no idea. When I called the county engineering and contracts office, they told me "we have already made our decision".

I can't wait to see how this comes out
Are sitting back wishing he phucks it up? Kinda like the 2nd string quarterback sits on the bench hoping the offense chokes. :laughing:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,663 Posts
Such is life in the Land of Free Enterprise.

He probably got bonded the same way you did.... or is there a law that says new contractors cannot be bonded? If so, how long must they be in business before they can obtain a bond?

It's amazing how many think the work is rightfully theirs.

Reactions: SmallTownGuy

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I would let them know the general idea of just the cost of materials and when the new guy bails your estimate is no longer valid.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
thank god we do not build on the cheapest bid, if we did, it may well turn to sh*t, keep us posted on this one, we may see this in the wall of shame

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
Yep. I always wonder about it when I get undercut close to my material costs. No matter what, no one gets material so cheap they can cover the labor with the difference.

I too just wish the customer good luck and move on.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Good thing your turf Business is blowing up . Did you maybe think they just wanted to spread the wealth out to different company since you did must of other phases . They thinking of bidding war in the future .

·
Super Moderator
24,654 Posts
When applying for a bond in Calif. bonding company looks at all the bids.

That far out of the money they will have some questions for the low bidder.

·
Registered
406 Posts
griz said:
When applying for a bond in Calif. bonding company looks at all the bids. That far out of the money they will have some questions for the low bidder.
Not only that, the municipality usually asks for references of previous work. Which means he must have done at least one similar job successfully.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
One of two things had to cause this, either he under bid it by a lot, or you were over bidding by a lot.

·
Roofing Siding Windows
47 Posts
Thats happened to me before also, but not on such a big bid. We've been underbid by 150k and the contractor realized he messed up bad. County called and asked if I wanted to finish the job and I told them that my bid is no longer valid for that project and I would have to go in and re-bid the job. They went for it, I bid and got the job. In the end everyone was happy!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,663 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Such is life in the Land of Free Enterprise.

He probably got bonded the same way you did.... or is there a law that says new contractors cannot be bonded? If so, how long must they be in business before they can obtain a bond?

It's amazing how many think the work is rightfully theirs.
I agree with you.
But I'm getting the impression you're saying this in opposition to the OP. He never said anything that lead me to believe that he was entitled to the work.

The way I took it was that he was scratching his head wondering how it was possible and curious how things would turn out.

I think your tone would be appropriate if he said he was going to stand out in front of the work site and protest (like I've seen union crews do a lot around here).
But he didn't say he planned on making any childish reaction like that.

I think its likely you misunderstood where the OP was coming from a bit.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,663 Posts
I agree with you.
But I'm getting the impression you're saying this in opposition to the OP. He never said anything that lead me to believe that he was entitled to the work.

The way I took it was that he was scratching his head wondering how it was possible and curious how things would turn out.

I think your tone would be appropriate if he said he was going to stand out in front of the work site and protest (like I've seen union crews do a lot around here).
But he didn't say he planned on making any childish reaction like that.

I think its likely you misunderstood where the OP was coming from a bit.

Wow. Where did THIS come from?

I'm 'opposing' the OP? How?

Where did I infer he was going to through a temper tantrum?

I think I understood him perfectly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts