Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a York Heat Pump thats acting up. When I turn the T-stat on to Heat, the inside air handler starts and the blower runs. ...But, the outside unit cycles....meaning the fan and compressor turn on for approx 30 secs then shut off, after 10 minutes or so, it will kick on again, last 30 seconds and shut back down. Will continue, I check Wires and all..wondering what I am missing...any you smart guys have some ideas for me?
Thanks

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Your user description says that you are an electrician, and I am also a licensed electrician. I am also a universal licensed refrigeration tech. Your problem description was so embarrassingly non-technical for a tradesperson, I thought you must be a DIYer. As your unit could be cycling on the low pressure switch, troubleshooting may necessarily involve accessing the sealed system to install gauges. Do you have that cert?

Anyhow, how about a little model info so we can at least look up what controls your unit might or might not have.

Is this a new install, or a previously working system that just developed this issue? Low ambient kit? My gut tells me that the unit might be running for a bit on the bypass timer, and then shuts down on low gas. Then, after the anti short-cycle delay, the unit tries again. Just my best guess without knowing model and such. I've even seen stats that will pass voltage for a short time, then develop an open, cool off, and then close again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts