Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a bunch of YKK vinyl windows in new house - the last time I installed vinyl windows we shot them off w/ roofing nails, which is no longer kosher here in my part of Florida

I usually get all my window spec's/install stuff off the Florida Building officials website, but YKK is not listed.:mad:

The basic install instructions that come w/ the window say to use stainless pan head #10 screws - but I'm sure ceramic or zinc/galv would be fine, just can't find them at BLowe's, etc.

Can anyone help here? My framer says to just run deck screws through, which carry the same shape (trumpet end) and I'm thinking they could spread out the nail fin holes or crack them.

So, what kind of (*&(&( screws to use? seems like pan heads would give me trouble when casing it out later - are deck screws really OK?

help, brothas and sistas

MHM :party:

·
Glazier
63 Posts
Definately not deck screws. Your right in the fact that they will spread the hole or possibly crack the fin. As far as YKK goes and thier specs in relation to Florida...:censored:YKK. Talk to a local architect to get a fastener recommendation or the local code enforcement officer. They will be happy to talk with you considering they don't have YKK listed.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Installing a bunch of YKK vinyl windows in new house - the last time I installed vinyl windows we shot them off w/ roofing nails, which is no longer kosher here in my part of Florida

I usually get all my window spec's/install stuff off the Florida Building officials website, but YKK is not listed.:mad:

The basic install instructions that come w/ the window say to use stainless pan head #10 screws - but I'm sure ceramic or zinc/galv would be fine, just can't find them at BLowe's, etc.

Can anyone help here? My framer says to just run deck screws through, which carry the same shape (trumpet end) and I'm thinking they could spread out the nail fin holes or crack them.

So, what kind of (*&(&( screws to use? seems like pan heads would give me trouble when casing it out later - are deck screws really OK?

help, brothas and sistas

MHM :party:
Didn't we have this discussion already???:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts