Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The client was nice enough to send me these today.

Countertop Cabinetry Room Furniture Kitchen

Countertop Cabinetry Kitchen Furniture Room

Sink Countertop Bathroom sink Property Bathroom

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love marble. That Island top with the sink inlay, is sweeet.

Is the lady in that first picture single?

Those pendant lights are cool as well.
The sink was a collection of ideas. I came up with the idea to inlay the marble as I thought they could control the water a little better. They had a designer friend come up with the off set look. Everyone involved is happy with the result.
I on the other hand want to see it in a few years.:whistling

That lady is not single. I think your wife might be curious as to the motive behind the question though.:laughing:
Nice couple raising a pack of kids, she is easy on the eyes though.

I really like those pendant lights too. They really make a nice statement.

Gus, do you use a Nikon camera?
The client took the photos and sent them to me this am. I am not that great with a camera. Point and shoot is all I can do.

·
Pro
680 Posts
Very nice Gus. I really like the island sink and the pendant lights as well.

Does the marble butt up to the wood top or is it let into the top like a true inlay? Did the edge of the top get treated in any way before installing the marble?

Bill

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice Gus. I really like the island sink and the pendant lights as well.

Does the marble butt up to the wood top or is it let into the top like a true inlay? Did the edge of the top get treated in any way before installing the marble?

Bill
I placed the top on the cnc upside down. Cut clean through at the line of the marble. Rabbeted out enough arond the cut out to place a sub top 7/8" from the face. The stone is 3/4" and mitered at the edge. Leave an 1/8" for adhesive. I also cut a template for the stone and marked it up with all the measurements and geometry.
I was going to do it right side up and plow out 7/8" for the stone. The stone guy got me turned around as he wanted a plywood sub top. He feared the wood movement. I think he had a great idea.
The top just got mineral oil. The seam between the two has a small amount of silicone

I also take it the rest of the counters are marble as well.

Carrara Mable?? I want me some big slabs of that for the walls behind my claw foot tub.

At least this client has good taste!!
Sorry I dunno what kind of marble. I always thought marble was a bit too porous for a kitchen top.
Sure is pretty though.

Thank you for all the compliments guys.
It feels nice to be complimented by guys that know what they are looking at. I appreciate all of you.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,528 Posts
She takes nice pics of your kitchen Gus. Looks like the NE painted kitchen is making a comeback of on your side of the country.

Sink is cool, you make the slab on the island too?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She takes nice pics of your kitchen Gus. Looks like the NE painted kitchen is making a comeback of on your side of the country.

Sink is cool, you make the slab on the island too?
It seems 4 out of 5 jobs are painted white these days. Fine by me , I love it.

Yeah we made the top. The elliptical shape was all outined with the cnc machine too. As well as the cab parts below that follow the same shape.

Brought that base in the house in one piece and had to lift it over the loop vent and water pipes. That took 5 guys.

This kitchen was the subject of another thread of mine about cabinet install or something.

And is also the kitchen where the painter decided to reinstall the Blum face frame flush inset base plates with little 1/2" screws. I got a call that the glass door on the far left has fallen off.:eek:

That is why I went back to that other job after the same painter was done. To tune him up a little.:whistling

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,816 Posts
It looks like Calcutta Gold marble, which is getting more and more scarce/expensive these days. The porosity isn't the worst part about marble in a kitchen--it's that it etches with anything the least bit acidic. Honed slabs don't show it as bad.

It's a beautiful material, but I'd have a hard time recommending it in a house full of kids. It would have really been amazing if they'd run the marble all the way up to the uppers. I would have probably run the crown across the hood, and the bead board on the radius back of the island looks a little unfinished to me, but it's hard to really tell how it's detailed from the pic.

Great work as usual, btw.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since the crown was run throughout the house , the contractor ran the crown. I wanted it run over top of the hood too and told him how to do it. It showed that way in my renderings too. He didn't give a great reason why it was not done that way. I think he mucked that up too. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts