Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HO wants his valleys wraped in copper. Never done this before. Was hoping for a quick rundown.

Whats the typical width?, how much should a leave for a reveal?, does it help to score the back a little to get it to fold in the valley nicely? should i tar or adhere the shingles that overlap it?

anyhelp would be apreciated.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Surely he doesn't want to pay for
copper as underlayment in a closed valley?
Why not aluminum?
If he wants copper I bet he wants a
"W" open valley.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya he wants it open, dont ask me why he wants it. he saw it on his friends house or some **** and loved the look. havnt givin him a price yet. i have to be out of there in a hurry so i want it to go as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
somone told me i only have to over lap the shingles by 6 inches. that seams a little close. and their big valleys so i probably want to slowly gain my reveal toward the bottom to allow for more watter. or maybe im thinking to much.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Def dont score the back, bend the valley on a break..7 to 8" up either side, then get a counter bend on the last 1/2", ice shield the valley, then lay the copper valley in, run the shingle over leaving 2 to 3" of valley exposed at the bottom, and tighten up the reveal at the top, this will allow debris to flow out of the valley easier. G

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Reactions: bmaurice

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice thanks! big help guys. ya i dont know what i was thinking when i was figureing on bending it on the roof. and scoring pry wouldnt of bean to bright either. just got of the phone with my bud im going to pick his break up latter tonight. that will defienlty make it a lot cleaner.

thoughs webisites you gave me neo were a big help, defiently going to subscribe knowledge is key. i read over NRCA's oversview on the open valley, they really made it sound like its prone to a lot of issues.

"At least two asphalt shingle manufacturers’
instructions agree with ARMA’s
recommended 24-inch width. At least
one manufacturer recommends a 20-
inch minimum width, and two manufacturers
recommend an 18-inch minimum
width. Two other asphalt shingle manufacturers
do not recommend the use of
open valleys with their products.
NRCA is concerned with ARMA’s recommendations
for open metal valleys
on asphalt shingle roof systems"

hopefully the HO sees the price im going to give him, and decides against it. i really dont get it the house is falling apart. sidings all rotted windows are pretty much shot. and he wants his roof to look good with copper valleys. watever im just a yes man.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
The counter bend that Gene mentioned
and clipping the corners end the problems.
The manufacturers are covering themselves
knowing that 90% of roofers blow off the details.
I've always done them this way and
never had a leak yet.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
That counter bend is called a return.
Aaron, you are hereby appointed the CT terminology police:drink:G. PS keep in mind different parts of the world use different terminolgy, so be careful handing out those infractions. G:laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
That counter bend is called a return.
Aaron, you are hereby appointed the CT terminology police:drink:G. PS keep in mind different parts of the world use different terminolgy, so be careful handing out those infractions. G:laughing:
I just call it insurance. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts