Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't use it very much, no reason, just don't get called for it very much.

Anyway, looking at a house that we did the windows in and the customer would like me to price out replacing the Cedar lap siding on the front. It is basically, Window wrapped in 2x4/2x6:Lap to the 2x4. Pretty straight forward..... in wood. Rip all the old siding off, tyvek, install 2x4/6 and cedar lap....blah blah blah, done.

In Fiber cement board though, how do I recreate the 2x4/2x6 look? Do I need to fur out the wall with 5/8 sheet goods and then install the fiber cement board?

Help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now the Windows are wrapped in 2x4 Cedar (1.5" thickness). If we replace all of it with fiber cement trim, it is only available in a 1" thickness.

Basically what I guess I need to do is install 5/8 sheeting and then the fiber cement siding. That way it will bring out the trim boards slightly proud of the windows.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Most trim boards are available up to 5/4" (1" nominal). Whether it's EXCEL, PVC (which we really like), or Versatex which is another cellular PVC trim, or something like MiraTEC which is a composite trim. I've never seen one that goes up to an 1-1/2. So, you're going to need to bump it out with your 5/8" sheet goods.

I would strongly suggest you use the same sheet goods of whatever trim you use, not plywood. I'm not sure if composite trims are available in sheet goods though. I know MiraTEC isn't. Most cellular PVC is.

Hope this helps.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm pretty sure Versatex makes an 1 1/2in thickness in sheet goods now. Saw a brochure in our local supplier. No idea of cost or availability in your area. I'm guessing it isn't cheap and weighs a ton.

I immediately tried to think of a job we could use it on, because I wanted to check it out. That's a whole lotta PVC.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'm pretty sure Versatex makes an 1 1/2in thickness in sheet goods now. Saw a brochure in our local supplier. No idea of cost or availability in your area. I'm guessing it isn't cheap and weighs a ton.

I immediately tried to think of a job we could use it on, because I wanted to check it out. That's a whole lotta PVC.
Wow.... :eek: it sure is! I can see a fork lift setting a sheet in the back of the pick up and watching the shocks sink an inch or two.... :blink:

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
Lots of guys use MiraTec around here and I think it looks fine with no added build up behind it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not building a "rain screen" for this.... but I have found out there is no wall board or sheathing behind the existing cedar, so I will have to sheath it anyway. That will bring out the wall enough for 5/4 board trim to work.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
I'm not building a "rain screen" for this.... but I have found out there is no wall board or sheathing behind the existing cedar, so I will have to sheath it anyway. That will bring out the wall enough for 5/4 board trim to work.

Thanks guys.
That is always a pain putting sheathing on after the fact.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
we use pre primed lodgepole pine trim from www.capecod.ca

its exterior trim thats made for wood siding but we use it for fibre cement jobs as well.. otherwise we get 5/4 azec and fur it out

Attachments

Reactions: thesidingpro
1 - 11 of 11 Posts