Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sent momma to the sawmill to pick up 200' of red oak for a set of stairs we're gonna build, & 75' of hard maple for rope lite trays in the job we took over.

Had 2 lifts of 16' carr siding delivered to the shop.Last week, I took a bent section of scaffold & cut it in half & put some braces in so we wouldn't have to handle the carr siding as much. Glad to see it worked like I planned it to (& the welds held), that's no always the case. :) Now I've got a knock down lumber cart that only takes up floor space when it's needed.

Had to meet 2 semi's to pick up 2 different orders of finish & other supplies. There's 21 five gallon buckets of assorted finish in the back of my truck. Mostly lacquers, but also 30 gallon of poly for the carr siding. Yesterday was an expensive day.

Attachments

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That cart looks a little sketchy pin. Careful with that thing. Lot of stinking weight there.

Glad to see your making good money on your material markup.
Cart held up just fine. Jenny & I had no trouble pushing it from outside to the other end of the shop. My welding may not look pretty, but I rarely have a weld break. :)

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pin:

We're gonna wanna see those stairs. Keep us posted, please.
Stairs won't be anything special, just straight run of 15 treads & risers with a short hand rail & newel at the top. Knee wall with short rail & newel at the bottom. But I'll be sure to post pics when we're done.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Had 2 lifts of 16' carr siding delivered to the shop.Last week, I took a bent section of scaffold & cut it in half & put some braces in so we wouldn't have to handle the carr siding as much. Glad to see it worked like I planned it to (& the welds held), that's no always the case. :) Now I've got a knock down lumber cart that only takes up floor space when it's needed.
That's pretty fricken sweet! Did you weld the tabs back on the top part for the x braces? I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaay impressed, great idea.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's pretty fricken sweet! Did you weld the tabs back on the top part for the x braces? I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaay impressed, great idea.

On one side I left the originals. Cut a 5" section that contained the other tabs & moved them up to the pins & welded them back on, so one side has original tabs. On the other side, I took 1/2" grade 5 bolts & welded them on & just used nuts to hold the braces in place.

First lift 3/4 done & second lift has been rolled into the shop.:thumbup:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
On one side I left the originals. Cut a 5" section that contained the other tabs & moved them up to the pins & welded them back on, so one side has original tabs. On the other side, I took 1/2" grade 5 bolts & welded them on & just used nuts to hold the braces in place.

First lift 3/4 done & second lift has been rolled into the shop.:thumbup:
Awesome! I like the idea of loading at the door, then wheeling them where ever you want. I have been wrestling with an idea how to store some walnut to dry in my big building but didn't always want it in the way. You may have given me a idea on that! Thanks

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
almost done. Got 90 boards left to spray. Should finish them up today. We got our system down. The 2 drying carts, plus the layout sawhorses, we can spray 93 boards per run. Was taking just over an hour per run. everythings getting 2 coats in the shop & the final coat will be applied after they're installed, along with all the logs.

Attachments

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Heck yeah it is. Pin, do you ever have problems with dust landing on the wood while finishing? I live about 800 ft off gravel but have a bit of dust issues on finishing projects and just can not seem to keep a sterile enviroment.

Love the drying rack too

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the cart fails, what will you have lost? Could me more than a load of material. That's the kind of thing that doesn't give a hint that it's about to go. Be good to yourself. (Sorry to be this way - can't help it.)
Ever stop & think about how much weight a mason puts on a set of scaffold? 2-3 masons, mortar & a stack of brick.

A lift of this carr siding is 2200#.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Ok, not to be a pest...!

Our local HD had a load failure the other day. Two pallets of joint compound, plus the pallet of misc. stuff on top if that....nice pile in the pro lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts