Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had good expriences putting yard signs in the yards of homes you are working on? Are homeowners receptive or resistant to you sticking a yard sign in their yard during your work there?

Do you put a brocure box on it? Have you gotten work because of them? Do you take them out the day you get done and leave?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Depends on the 'hood. In the ghetto doing a rehab, I'm in stealth mode, no truck signs, nothing. In a high-end neighborhood, truck signs, yard signs, door hangers on the second day there, anything I can do for more work around that area. I can't recall any customers that objected to it at all, but a couple small townships around here prohibit any yard signs, so I respect that when I'm there.

Historically, I don't get many jobs from yard signs, but then again, we are inside all day, so people cruising past don't generally see us working. But it was a onetime cost, and doesn't take but 30 seconds to shove one in the ground, so they paid for themselves many years ago. I will admit when I bought the signs, I got the cheapo thin little stands that bend in the wind, and ended up snatching fat sturdy stands during an election year in my city. Republicans nor democrats weren't spared in my sign binge that weekend.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
www.yardsigns.com
www.lawnads.com

We work pretty much in high end residential areas. I try to put a yard sign there when they sign the contact and pick up the sign when I pick up the check. I don't even bother to ask permission... and have only had one complaint.

I think the yard signs definetly pay off. We've gotten a few leads from our signs. Plus it builds name branding.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My experience is the same as Grumpy's. I work only in high end neighborhoods.
People seem to be more comfortable dealing with someone that a neighbor has dealt with. This can be your undoing as well.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Teetor speak of undoing... There is a small subdivision built about 20 years ago. All the roofs are starting to go. We've roofed about 5 so far. One called us for a misc. repair. I could tell right away that they were trouble, just weird people. I gave them a fair price because I didn't want to introduce another roofer to the neighborhood...

And that's when the trouble began. He's blaming new leaks on our work, the leaks are form areas we had nothing to do with. As it turns out he's bad mouthing us int he neighborhood. :( Fug!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Signs work great for exterior paint jobs. I usually ask the customer If I could leave the sign in their yard for a full week. 75% of the time they say yes. If you do good exterior work, then signs pay off. I wont usually use them for interior work.

And as Pro said, when Im doing a ghetto paint job (usually for a slum landlord), I use no signs or my work turck. I load all my gear and paint into the back of my Jeep cherokee, sneak in and sneak out.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Josh, instead of asking the customer to leave the sign I tell the customer I will be back in two days to do a final inspection. At that time I pick up my money and yard sign. Also I usually drop off the sign days before we start work when we go through the color selection and I pick up my down payment :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts