Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this on a Corvette site and I thought I would see what you guys thought would be the appropriate time frame.

I had a full exterior remodel of my house done (reside,paint, new lighting, new deck, window screens, doors refinished, etc..) just before Turkey day. The contractor did an awesome job and was a really easy to deal with. He threw a sign up in my yard while he was doing the work, and here it is a month later and its still there. I have not problem helping him drum up business via his sign, and i told him i would be happpy to give him referals but its been over a month that the job has been completed, and his sign is still in my yard..

What is the proper sign removal ettiquette?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I did sub work in the past for a guy who buys cheap signs and just leaves them in the customers yard. Some take them out that day and others let them sit until they figure out he's not coming back for it.

·
Sean
5,514 Posts
I don't use them, but if it was me I would ask the customer if they mind if we leave it up for say a month and remove them when we come back for the montly check up.

If you are going to put them up, make sure you ask the customer - if they don't mind them being up for an additional week (or whatever you agree upon) make sure you pull it when that period is up. Do you really want the last thing the customer remembers about your company being that sign that they finally pulled because the crew was lazy / didn't follow through?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hahahaa - that's funny! I just remember a competitor of mine who had left his sign up for about a year before someone had taken it down.. It was on a main road, but really, a year??? What a dink!! I wouldn't want to have to mow around that...

As for me, I ask if I can leave my sign in the front yard for a period of 30 days also. I give a complete check up of my work and also try to drum up referral work...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you really want the last thing the customer remembers about your company being that sign that they finally pulled because the crew was lazy / didn't follow through?
I agree. This guy always asked and once I figured out what he did I let his customers know. Needless to say, I didn't work for him long because there were other things he did that weren't right.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
A previous employer of mine recently came up with a bribe of buying a customer dinner for 2 at their favorite local restaurant if they allowed their sign to stay up for a month after the job was completed.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
A previous employer of mine recently came up with a bribe of buying a customer dinner for 2 at their favorite local restaurant if they allowed their sign to stay up for a month after the job was completed.
that's funny...a yard sign during the job and for thirty days following completion is written into my contract ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts