Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order some yard signs and I am unsure which way to go. These signs will be in the yard of current / recent jobs along with being placed at the entrance to a few sub-divisions and high traffic areas.

I have a couple of full color signs but I think there may be a bit too much going on for them to be an easy read.

The one / two color are deffinately cheaper.

My thinking is,

The full color are fine for yards where a project is going on because people see the work being done so they slow down to take down the info from the sign.

The one / two color can be more easily read in higher traffic areas without having to slow down.

Opinions?

·
Scooter
304 Posts
Sometimes simple is better

What works for 1 person may not work for the other, but I have found with our signage that 3 things work....

List..... Who you are
.......... What you do
.......... And how to reach you

That being said....... to find out what works, you should ALWAYS ask a potential customer how they found you. It doesn't favor the beans to go throwing money around and not follow up to find out whats working. :thumbsup:

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
haven't got any work directly from these but I'm sure it least helps with branding and recognition.

I'm considering something fancier in the future but am happy with these for now.

(Also makes it easier to find your site for subs and deliveries)

Attachments

·
Contractor
4,736 Posts
here's my idea free of charge...

metal frame w/ small panel at bottom-main panel has basic info and small panel at bottom (or top if available) to be project specific. if you're doing a siding slide in the 6" siding specific descriptor, home addition then sldie in the 6" home addition. This would be a good sign for the clients yard-metal frames are a little too costly to put at the entrance of a subdivision (possible theft).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haven't got any work directly from these but I'm sure it least helps with branding and recognition.

I'm considering something fancier in the future but am happy with these for now.

(Also makes it easier to find your site for subs and deliveries)
I like that sign, it's something like what I was thinking about, easy to read and to the point.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I am getting some signs this week. I did 1 color for now, may change that up. I went with a flat black for visibility during winter. My buddy just started a graphix company. He just got done with the lettering, gunna get me the signs sent out today, should get them this next week.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I am getting some signs this week. I did 1 color for now, may change that up. I went with a flat black for visibility during winter. My buddy just started a graphix company. He just got done with the lettering, gunna get me the signs sent out today, should get them this next week.
You are just having black on a white background for now?

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Yeah for now. with my logo it is more blue and green.. so I want to keep with the same theme. He had black and I figured it would be best in the snow and nastiness of winter. I will change it up, he is ordering some different colors so we are going to play with it a bit. If I were to do it in green and blue .. I am not sure how that would look. May look fine but again it is a work in progress.

EDIT: I am going to do full color printing on future signs once he gets his screen printing setup completed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Winchester's sign is good but his name should be bolder and bigger than "construction ltd".

The main theme is

Name, Name, Name

and an honorable mention for phone # and website. The colors should be bright like red on yellow

All the other stuff should be left for print ads etc.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I'm about to order some yard signs and I am unsure which way to go. These signs will be in the yard of current / recent jobs along with being placed at the entrance to a few sub-divisions and high traffic areas.

I have a couple of full color signs but I think there may be a bit too much going on for them to be an easy read.

The one / two color are deffinately cheaper.

My thinking is,

The full color are fine for yards where a project is going on because people see the work being done so they slow down to take down the info from the sign.

The one / two color can be more easily read in higher traffic areas without having to slow down.

Opinions?
Folks will see the full color signs and think, "Man, that guy spent a lot on those" and get lost on the multi-colors.

Other folks will see the black and white sign and see directly what you are about and advertising.

You got to remember, folks are going to be driving past your signs. They don't have time to stop and try to find your number. They'll be cruising, or at a stop light. Also, black and white are just tried and true colors for contracting. They just are.

p.s. -- Try not to spam the neighborhood with your signs. Folks are gonna call and report this. Plus, it looks tacky.
Good Luck.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Yeah I went with the cheapest version, I figured they've got to be in the disposable column with Halloween coming up and the kids out on devils night. I'd be interested on feedback on # of calls from yard signs. I saw one post that said no calls. Trying to determine where money on advertising should best spent.

www.phbconstruction.com

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
p.s. -- Try not to spam the neighborhood with your signs. Folks are gonna call and report this. Plus, it looks tacky.
Good Luck.

I don't believe in spam. I am in the process of getting HOA aprovals before sign placement.

Some neigborhoods say no-way while others do not really have a problem when asked before hand.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
I don't believe in spam. I am in the process of getting HOA aprovals before sign placement.

Some neigborhoods say no-way while others do not really have a problem when asked before hand.

Ya know I always wondered about signs you see on exit ramps and such. I figured there all put there without permission and just disposable quickies. There must be some sort of return though because they keep appearing.

www.phbconstruction.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
Small canvas in a frame about 1' x 1.25'. I have used it once and have gotten one job directly from it. The hand-painted look is intentional, as it goes with our 'hand-crafted' theme. It seems a good fit in the neighborhood of craftsman-style homes in which we used it.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
Ya know I always wondered about signs you see on exit ramps and such. I figured there all put there without permission and just disposable quickies. There must be some sort of return though because they keep appearing.
I'd be careful there. To me, those off-the-road signs are in the same category as door hangers, cold-calls and SPAM. Companies that use them have the "if ya throw enough darts" marketing mentality. It looks cheesy. Especially when you consider their company:
Lose weight now, ask me how!
Granite installed, $25 sq ft.
Looking for older singles in your area.
Mortgage trouble? We buy houses.

No thanks! :no:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts