Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lawn Signe's

We use one from time to time, it helps let people know who is working in the area (legal contractor) never in the snow, and I only leave it for 2 weeks after the work is completed. (Pryor agreement)

You can expect to loose one from time to time, from kids or another contractor, BUT not from the Home owner!
Here is how it happened.

I do a small repair, upscale neighborhood, (fascia boards rotted) and my friend is doing all the gutters.

I gave the customer a fair price for 12 LF of 1x8 and aluminum, if more rot is found X per lf after that.

I end up doing 18 lf for the same price. (1st mistake) I get my check and go to another job.

My gutter guy calls me and tells me that he relocated the gutter in the back and wood is showing (hack cut the aluminum short)

I let the customer know I will bend new trim 20LF and Install for $50 IF she lets me leave my yard Signe (18"x24") for 2 weeks.

She is happy with the work and agrees to the terms, Now I bend the new trim and come back 9 days later - No Signe on the lawn???

"Hmmm" I knock on the door and ask -What happened to my Signe?? (Husband) Oh - umm I threw it out you left it on the lawn! sorry.:furious:
(Not said with remorse -more like - Tough sh^t! not my problem)

:censored:^%%$#$$&*(++)+*(*^&^&$$#$

I start walking to my truck in disbelief - "SO does that mean you are not going to fix the back gutter" :rolleyes:

Shaking my head it took all my strength not to cause a problem.......NO ..........I just kept saying "you threw away my Signe I cant believe you threw it out?? Didn't you see my phone # on it? Couldn't you just call me and tell me to remove it???:wallbash::wallbash:

ARRRRRRRRRRRR what a dumb ass - Some people think just cause we are self employed - We must make a ton of money TFS!

My ***** for the day

·
Banned
356 Posts
So,

Did you do the back?

Maybe he threw away it because you spelled everything wrong... Just kidding.

Wait, But wasn't the SIGN in the yard part of the agreement?

I let the customer know I will bend new trim 20LF and Install for $50 IF she lets me leave my yard Signe (18"x24") for 2 weeks.
Dilemma, do you raise the rate or charge for the sign?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Forget the yard signs. Get your truck lettered and drive SLOW through all the rich neighborhoods. Works for me :laughing:

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
If the new agreement was verbal, you've lost a sign.

I would write-up an invoice covering the sign cost... but don't hold your breath waiting for them to pay it. Oh, try addressing the invoice to the wife, with explanation for recovery.

Good luck,
Dave

·
General Contractor
42 Posts
We have a local community that doesn't allow yard signs. Bummer because it's the richest city in the greater metro area.

We just have to rely on advertising on company vehicles.

Here's a tip that may be helpful in comunities that have these sort of rules against yard signs...

If you are doing a project that requires a dumpster be placed on site for any length of time, put magnetic signs advertising your company directly on the sides of the dumpster. ;)

Greg

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not do the trim, I felt that if I did and charged for the SIGN - I would loose out both ways and not get paid- It was a $50 Real corragated plastic type.

I just had to drive away shaking my head.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
A real sign has a metal frame and a metal insert for the lettering.

I cant believe one of the plastic one's would be that much.

I was really going for the fact that a 'normal' metal one would be kind of hard to throw away.
The plastic one's with the metal wire stand are easy to pitch.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A real sign has a metal frame and a metal insert for the lettering.

I cant believe one of the plastic one's would be that much.

I was really going for the fact that a 'normal' metal one would be kind of hard to throw away.
The plastic one's with the metal wire stand are easy to pitch.

I had a lot of color logo work done = the cost

If I hade a metal one, I betcha the HO would have taken the center out and stufed it in the trash!

Live and learn...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts