Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a fairly large excavation company but I want to start my own. I have the opportunity right now to do my first side job. It’s pretty simple, she just needs the final grade done on the yard to get ready for sod. It’s a .25 acre lot but only half needs work. It doesn’t need dirt brought in or taken out. Just smoothed & shaped which I’m more than capable of. What would you charge for this including machine rental, fuel, transportation.. the whole deal? I was thinking $600-$1000

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Figure out you labor, what you want to pay yourself, and any materials (fuel, grease, traffic control, etc ) machine rental, then your overhead, license, taxes, insurance, expenses, vehicle, on and on, and a percentage for profit, and that’s your price. 👍

·
Contractor
7,396 Posts
Agreeing with the above, also figure your time by the day. It may only take 5 or six hours but with set up, delivery of machinery, being there for pick up of machinery. You're gonna be involved for the day...bill for a day at minimum.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
Sub it out to a landscaper with a skid steer....

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is usually where people mess up.

The Price of a job is dependant on several factors your expenses, reputation, market price, competition and others.

To make things simple calculate all your costs and lets say the cost is "C" then mark it up. I have met people fixated on making certain percentage even though it prices them out of the market, which make the entire investment on the estimate a waste of time.

The market value for what you are doing is "M".

I want to remind you that C and M have nothing to do with each other.

Depending on your reputation, competition, your interest on this job, etc. Your price can be either above or below market price.

If you do a very good job below market price, you will get more clients. You might struggle when you want to grow to the point of hiring people as at that point you start carrying fat on overhead.

·
Registered
Custom
13,179 Posts
I work for a fairly large excavation company but I want to start my own. I have the opportunity right now to do my first side job. It’s pretty simple, she just needs the final grade done on the yard to get ready for sod. It’s a .25 acre lot but only half needs work. It doesn’t need dirt brought in or taken out. Just smoothed & shaped which I’m more than capable of. What would you charge for this including machine rental, fuel, transportation.. the whole deal? I was thinking $600-$1000
$600 - $1000 is quite a range... what are all your costs associated with the above (i.e. - machine rental, fuel, transportation.. the whole deal, etc.)...

Labor
Overhead
Materials
Profit (what you pay your company, not what you pay yourself)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$600 - $1000 is quite a range... what are all your costs associated with the above (i.e. - machine rental, fuel, transportation.. the whole deal, etc.)...

Labor
Overhead
Materials
Profit (what you pay your company, not what you pay yourself)
My thinking was this. $175 per day for machine rental. Id say it will take 2 days to be safe and have time to return machine. I estimated $150 dollars in fuel & def for truck & machine, total. Rate for my labor at $40 an hour and estimated time from 7-10 hours. I’ll use 8 for calculations.
overhead $500ish.
labor $320
Materials??
Profit. $320 paying myself for this job in particular.
total cost of $820 received from customer.
Keep in mind this is just to make side money, not to make a living YET. I’m very open to criticism. If this sounds bad I’d like to know. I’m 21 years old, and currently an excavator operator with experience on all machine. I have never bid on a job before so any help is appreciated. I know I have a lot to learn about the business side of things.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
Not trying to burst your bubble, but...

Had a guy shape and groom about 9000 sq ft. No soil needed.

He had a skid steer w/ a tooth bucket and a regular one.

He shaped and rough groomed with the tooth and dolled it up with the regular bucket.

3 hours, $400.00.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not trying to burst your bubble, but...

Had a guy shape and groom about 9000 sq ft. No soil needed.

He had a skid steer w/ a tooth bucket and a regular one.

He shaped and rough groomed with the tooth and dolled it up with the regular bucket.

3 hours, $400.00.
I’d like to know that guys cost breakdown

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
Landscaper, owns the machine, newer bobcat, 1 ton truck and dump trailer to haul it.

Pretty much all he does and he is very good...

And there was not 3 hours on the hobbs meter, had time for a couple of beers and bs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly, but the company (run your "side" stuff like a company) needs to make money also. this pays for investing in cool tools in the future.

Even if it is, just say $100.00.

I can't seem to make other designers understand this concept also.

Andy.
So you’re saying pay the company account, and then write myself a paycheck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Landscaper, owns the machine, newer bobcat, 1 ton truck and dump trailer to haul it.

Pretty much all he does and he is very good...

And there was not 3 hours on the hobbs meter, had time for a couple of beers and bs...
That’s pretty much my exact goal.. Truck, dump trailer, skid or mini ex.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
40/hr for your time.

Your hourly wage should include a little bit for things like

Vacation pay
Sick leave
Retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
29,522 Posts
Up here, people who own their own equipment will typically run $100-150 an hour for operator and machine .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Up here, people who own their own equipment will typically run $100-150 an hour for operator and machine .
My estimate wasn’t too far off from that. $820 for 8 hours. I feel like my way of breaking it down isn’t right. Or how much of that goes where.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts