Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I do here? The other roofer ran off, I have to finish this. Do I rubber it or throw some shingles on it and get creative with the break at the edges.

Also what about the naked wall in the center?

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it's been sitting for a few years. Someone recently do a re front on a hotel and forgot things like covering it up? :D
It was a party store....now its a tobacco, e cig, marijuana grow supply store. They had the roof done and the roofers didn't do the faccade

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably not gonna do th I one...I gave him a good for 48 hour price just because I need work...ill making out ok for a day and a half but the clock is ticking

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be shy of doing that one, not really all that hard. Besides if it leaks its in side the wall. Just blame the EFIS... :D
Not being shy...I just want to make money on the deal.... $1,800 and change is pretty tight. Id make out ok for a day and a half. But just ok

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i wouldnt do it at all until i found out why the other roofers quit.

It doesnt look like they did a crappy job so what was the problem? Why did they quit? The owner wasnt happy with what part of that work?

From what i see, that screams "the owner wouldnt pay us" to me. The fact that you already mentioned that he wanted it cheap, confirms that the problem revolves around money. I think you might have a hard time getting paid. I would think,based on the little info contained in this post and past experience... the owner agreed on a price and then tried to renegotiate after the work began. The roofers said screw you, finished what they were working on and quit.

Thats just my 2 cents. im sure you have experienced that before. all i can say is i agree with 1985 (again) that that is too small of a margin. Things happen. you know this. you arent leaving yourself any room for the what ifs. Also you are assuming responsibility for a roof that possibly has a lot of interior damage already. Id take a thousand pictures before i even started that job. Cover your ass.

Im always skeptical of half done jobs. especially if they are half done and im impressed with the half that is done.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i wouldnt do it at all until i found out why the other roofers quit.

It doesnt look like they did a crappy job so what was the problem? Why did they quit? The owner wasnt happy with what part of that work?

From what i see, that screams "the owner wouldnt pay us" to me. The fact that you already mentioned that he wanted it cheap, confirms that the problem revolves around money. I think you might have a hard time getting paid. I would think,based on the little info contained in this post and past experience... the owner agreed on a price and then tried to renegotiate after the work began. The roofers said screw you, finished what they were working on and quit.

Thats just my 2 cents. im sure you have experienced that before. all i can say is i agree with 1985 (again) that that is too small of a margin. Things happen. you know this. you arent leaving yourself any room for the what ifs. Also you are assuming responsibility for a roof that possibly has a lot of interior damage already. Id take a thousand pictures before i even started that job. Cover your ass.

Im always skeptical of half done jobs. especially if they are half done and im impressed with the half that is done.
I agree, but only because you always agree with me! :clap: but..... to me the original roof looks a few years old, the EFIS looks new. plus what ever was covering it at one time has rotted away and the plywood has been wet for at least a little while. This could have very well been a case of a building owner acting as a GC during the remodel. Just by the way the EFIS is done, IE no boards on the outside edge making your drip edge have a long flange and a harder time sealing in to the angle changes. The roofer and EFIS guys should have been working together or at least known what the other needed done and at what point in the project. It could be very well a no payment issue too.

Saying that, there is some times when you think to your self, man I really need to eat something this week, if I could make a few $$ here that would be great!

Glad your scheduled filled/is filling up with work. Hopefully it is all more promising then this one was! When he calls back 6 months from now, make sure to give him the real price. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Saying that, there is some times when you think to your self, man I really need to eat something this week, if I could make a few $$ here that would be great!
BUT he will only make the $$ if he gets paid.. nothin like comin out of pocket to do a job you can't afford to come outta pocket for and then gettin chinga le'ed. That's pronounced chinga laid. And yes it doesn't make sense but I say it anyway cuz I think its funny sounding.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
BUT he will only make the $$ if he gets paid.. nothin like comin out of pocket to do a job you can't afford to come outta pocket for and then gettin chinga le'ed. That's pronounced chinga laid. And yes it doesn't make sense but I say it anyway cuz I think its funny sounding.
Well that's true, some times you just have to have gweedo step in. They always pay when gweedo comes to collect.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Truth be told I would have gweedoed that apartment complex roof jerkoff that burned me on 30grand had he not ran off to cali the next day. But ill catch up with him sooner or later. And its not my money I want anymore.

Hmmm where is californiadecks at when ya need him??

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
1985, trust me, I can't wait to give you guys another story. As soon as something happens around here, trust me, Ill be involved in some ridiculous f0ckary and be able to find the humor in it.. but there's nothing really funny about, "took my kid to school today, went back to bed til I had to go pick her up." Or the more exciting version of my day goes "took my kid to school today, played on the internet and had so many windows open by the time I had to go get my kid, I actually convinced myself I had been productive"

But I think I started writing a story last year about getting in a fight w one of my workers at a customers house and trying like hell to "hide" it from the customer... it was at the costanzas house too as a matter of fact.. ill see if I can't find it, this story will do wonders for my rep. Lol..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.