Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm still looking for a copemaster. Anywhere from Seattle north to the border, and east to Calgary is about as far as I care to drive. (I'm in the Vancouver B.C. area)

New or used, I think it would be a good thing to have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would suggest that you look at thecoper.com.
I originally thought it was a homeowner gimmick thing, but it has more that proved itself on the jobsite.
But it is just for baseboard.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BDR, yes I had one of those for several years. I find that the chemicals used to make the moulds tend to go "off" after about a year or so, and given the limited width of moulding that this machine will accept limits it's usefulness.

I also find that you have to be careful not to assume that one batch of moulding will be the same as the next, even though it's the same profile/number.

It can be out a fair amount, I guess it depends upon the cutters used on the day the material was profiled? I don't know for sure but I do know that it can be a pain in the ...

This means that you have to make new moulds virtually every time, and I've found that the mould itself tends to self destruct with use, so I have to make a copy out of Plexiglas.

That also isn't so hard, but it's the time investment that becomes a problem.

Many baseboard jobs are "one day" type of things, and if you have to spend 3 hours getting the moulds correct, then ?

I've found that I tend to just hand cope the baseboard using my Festool R.A.S. and some files.

Another problem is that the HO has already purchased the baseboard, so I don't have the time to prepare a mould before I get there as I don't know what profile they have chosen.

It does work, however it has to be the right conditions to save time and help you be efficient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts