Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHo has it who does not,if I want to try a new guy out before I hire him or use someone part time,anybody know where to get good advise on wsib issues.Even jim carruk or whatever his name is from real renos got hit for 38k in back payments.

·
Full Service Renovations
1,318 Posts
WHo has it who does not,if I want to try a new guy out before I hire him or use someone part time,anybody know where to get good advise on wsib issues.Even jim carruk or whatever his name is from real renos got hit for 38k in back payments.
Looks like Jim was fined for his sub-trades that he hired not having WCB. Here is a link to his post regarding this.

http://www.canadiancontractor.ca/english/industry/article.jsp?content=20090122_135544_47512

You will need to have coverage for your employee.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Since it's just me and no employees, I can use a waiver for my jobs. My WSIB rep just told me to put my waiver number on the 1000 construction forms.

If I hire someone to sub, then I need to make sure they have their own WSIB number.

With things expanding for me family wise, I actually plan on getting full WSIB coverage in January.

From what I remember, full WSIB will mandatory for all owner/operators in the next couple of years. Creates a more even playing field I guess.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
well here in BC I have to carry WCB. I work alone, but I am considered an "employee" of my company, and that requires me to be registered. I can never collect! its a cost of doing business. 3.19% of wages, and I pay them at the year end.
Getting a clearance letter from WCB was easy- 20 minutes, and it was faxed over to me. (I keep it on hand for when GC's ask for it- that and my liability insurance letter)

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Mandatory coverage for owner/operators only applies if you are doing commercial work, not residential.

Make sure your subs are covered. If not hold 10% to cover them. The Homebuilding rate this year is 8.3% I think, or about that.

No clearance certificate, no final cheque. Simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts