Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contractor
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at putting replacements into a 40yr old house w/ aluminum siding. The 7"-8" siding was caulked to the original wood window frame. Is it as easy as cutting the caulk joint back, sliding the new bent aluminum in and recaulking? I'm curious about the expansion rates between the siding and new wrap-any longevity issues?

a year or two ago the Simonton rep was telling me about a replacement window/new construction that slid in and used a snap on lineal system to 'picture frame' the window. It was a real nice setup which allowed new flashing around the new window (to building) and covered up the flashing w/ the snap on lineal....anyone use this/seen it in action?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I wouldn't rely on caulk for the long term.
If they aren't interested in eventually replacing the old aluminum siding then here's a couple options.

1)Try and slide an L shaped piece of coil behind old siding and trim as stated in option #2

2)Remove the outside trim,slide aluminum L behind siding with one leg facing out.
Replace wood trim,and cover with coil shaped to include J,less the back bend,and pin nail through L into side of wood trim.
Extend bottom of side L's to divert water from sides to over top of siding by making a slit in lower part of 8" panel.

3)Bend window sides with J,minus back leg,apply as stated above,and address the top trim by getting under the siding so water is diverted over the top of window,and also well past the sides.
Just like a drip cap over the window trim,extending beyond the built in J.

·
Contractor
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what concerns me is it's a first time working w/ aluminum (painted) siding-would have to get bit on a new installation method (for me).

Option #3 sounds good-I don't disturb the existing seal (which is good) and it finishes the job. Front of the house gets shutters...

thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would cut the old caulk bend a "U" shaped cap and re-caulk using a good grade silicone. It will be fine. Aluminum siding doesn't expand much and the silicone will move with the siding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.