Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into a local thrift store today and found probably the most complete book on builders math I have ever found and its from the 60's.

Audel Carpenters and builders Library - Builders Math-Plans-Specification

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I never had a problem with trig, just remember this SOHCAHDOA. Except I've never had to use trig when I'm actually out framing. The most complex math I ever did framing was the arch formula.

R = (B² + A²)/2A

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
just remember this SOHCAHDOA.
Well said, trig serves me well on a regular basis; I always keep my scientific calculator in my tool bag I use it so often.

Not that its completely related but 3 or 4 years ago I was working on a custom house that was built curving around a tree. The handrail installer was told it was a 400(or something like that) foot radius. To properly make his curve he explained how he went into an empty parking lot with 400 feet of string and a piece of wood and a pencil, and drew an arc on the wood....All I could think was I guess he did not do well with calculus.:whistling

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well said, trig serves me well on a regular basis; I always keep my scientific calculator in my tool bag I use it so often.

Not that its completely related but 3 or 4 years ago I was working on a custom house that was built curving around a tree. The handrail installer was told it was a 400(or something like that) foot radius. To properly make his curve he explained how he went into an empty parking lot with 400 feet of string and a piece of wood and a pencil, and drew an arc on the wood....All I could think was I guess he did not do well with calculus.:whistling
:eek:

·
Designer/Contractor
5,280 Posts
I never had a problem with trig, just remember this SOHCAHDOA. Except I've never had to use trig when I'm actually out framing. The most complex math I ever did framing was the arch formula.

R = (B² + A²)/2A
To clarify for some who might not be familiar with the Indian Princess mnemonic it's SohCahToa, not SohCahDoa.
This is a way to remember how to get the Sine, the Cosine and the Tangent
Sine = Oposite over hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent over hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite over adjacent

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
To clarify for some who might not be familiar with the Indian Princess mnemonic it's SohCahToa, not SohCahDoa.
This is a way to remember how to get the Sine, the Cosine and the Tangent
Sine = Oposite over hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent over hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite over adjacent
Oops yeah, I never could remember the Indian mnemonic. I use some old horse came a hopin through our alley. Was thinking down instead of through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ssssssssssssssssooooooooo many rafter lengh calculations for hand framed roofs.... which is strange cause most everyone uses truss'. Although i have handframed a few roof additions because it can be easier to get things to line up imo

·
framer
154 Posts
That's not true. Maybe it is where your from. I still find it hard to believe that alot of framers don't stick frame.
Looks like it is true.

Manufactured roof trusses are used in nearly 80 percent of all new homes constructed in America. The trusses are designed by structural engineers to ensure they meet roof load and building code requirements using a minimal amount of lumber

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rickie_Bell

http://www.bblusa.net//articles.html

• In 2002, 39 percent of single-family homes and 56 percent of multifamily homes employed plated roof trusses, the highest percentage of any roof framing method for both types of housing. (2003 NAHB Builder Practices Survey)

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
My problem is that I have to keep the instruction pamphlet with me all the time, and keep referring back to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts